Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 chevy: gas tank..gauge..somtimes low fule light stays..whistling…

Customer Question
I own a 2005 chevy...
I own a 2005 chevy trail blazer and went to fill up my gas tank and the gauge will not go past 14 tank and somtimes low fule light stays on . Now my car is making this whistling windy sound. Is this a defect in the car because I have been reading where alot of owners are upset with this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/23/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome. The low fuel issue is almost always due to a bad fuel level sensor in the fuel tank.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Can you describe the whistling noise and where you hear it from?

Customer:

That does not answer why all of a sudden it just stopped working? So is this my fault?

Customer:

the whistling noise is very loud by the frount tires and when I go to put my foot on the gas pedal, makes the noise go louder.

GM Tech (Cam) : Does turning or braking change it?
Customer:

Yes when my food is not on the gas pedal it is not as loud.

Customer:

What about my question about the fuel pump sensor?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The pump sensor has likely failed. They are common .

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is a moving part with small fingers on the sensor, and if one breaks off, that would make it stop.

GM Tech (Cam) :

As for the whistling, is it worse the faster you go or the faster the engine is reving?

Customer:

Yes, when I excell on on the gas the louder it gets. What is this problem and what is the terminology used to fix this? Sounds like my car sounds so loud even when I just start it, drive it, ect>

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, one more question, does it sound at all like the rumble strips on the side of the highways?

Customer:

No,

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does it sound worse depending on the wind then?

Customer:

and another question if the fule sensor is such a common problem to fail why does it cost the consumer so much money to have it fixed i am getting prices of over $500. this is awful.

Customer:

no has nothing to do with the wind.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Because the fuel tank needs to be removed to replace that part, and that is not a simple process. It takes time.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, then I think the noise is possible a wheel bearing or axle in the left front.

Customer:

Has there been a recall for this problem? (the fuel sensor)

GM Tech (Cam) :

No there has not been.