Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

92 Chevrolet: z71..I smell gas..Also if I will turn ignition..crank…

Customer Question
Have a 92 Chevrolet z71...
Have a 92 Chevrolet z71 and it is really hard to start then I smell gas. It has been in shop for about a week and they cant figure out what is wrong. Also if I will turn ignition on for 10seconds then crank it starts everytime but I still smell fuel. All the mechanic can tell me is injectors arent firing properly.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/22/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

does the engine light come on?if so,can you give e the computer codes?

No light or computer code.

ok

first,you need to check the fuel pressure,these must have no less than 9psi at all times..the fuel pump may be weak....also,if the injectors aren't firing correctly,the problem could be the pick-up coil inside the distributer..either of these may not give a code

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

fuel pressure
Testing and Inspection

PROCEDURE

A fuel system pressure test is part of several of the Diagnostic Charts and Symptom Checks. To perform this test, follow this procedure:

Note : To perform residual pressure check refer to: XXXXX XXXXX Testing and Inspection.

1. Turn engine OFF to relieve system pressure.
    • Disconnect negative battery terminal to avoid possible fuel discharge if an accidental attempt is made to start the engine.
    • Loosen fuel filler cap to relieve tank vapor pressure.
    • The constant bleed feature relieves fuel pump system pressure when the engine is turned "OFF".
  1. Uncouple fuel supply flexible hose in engine compartment. Install fuel pressure gauge between steel line and flexible hose.
  2. Tighten gauge in line to insure no leaks occur during testing.
  3. Connect negative battery terminal and START engine and observe fuel pressure reading. It should be 62-90 kPa (9-13 psi). If not, refer to DIAGNOSTIC CHARTS/FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST (CHART A-6).
  4. Turn engine OFF to relieve system pressure.
  1. Remove fuel pressure gauge.
  2. Install new O-ring on fuel feed line. Reinstall fuel line.
  3. Connect negative battery terminal and START engine and check for fuel leaks.
  4. Install air cleaner assembly.
Distributor Shaft, Pole Piece & Pickup Coil

Typical Distributor Components
Installing Pick-up Coil Retainer

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. With distributor removed, disconnect wires at module terminals
  2. Remove roll pin from drive gear by driving out with 1/8 inch diameter drift punch. Mark shaft and driven gear so they can be aligned for assembly.
  3. Remove gear, shim and tanged washer from distributor shaft. Remove any burrs that may have been caused by removal of pin.
  4. Remove distributor shaft from housing. Bushings in housing are not serviceable.
  5. Remove retainer from inside pickup coil assembly.
  6. Remove pickup coil assembly from housing.

INSTALL OR CONNECT:

1. Install pickup coil.
    • Fit tab on the bottom of coil into anchor hole in housing.
  1. Connect pickup coil wiring connector to module.
    • Make sure locking tab is in place.
  1. Install shield onto coil.
  2. Install retainer onto shield. NOTE: Use a new round retainer if center bushing in distributor base has no groove around the outside. Use a new square retainer when there is a groove in center bushing.
    1. Place retainer over center bushing with teeth pointing upward.
    2. Place a 15 mm (5/8 in.) socket head onto edge of retainer. Keep socket centered on retainer so the teeth are not damaged. Use a small hammer to tap retainer evenly down on center bushing. When installing square retainer, make sure both teeth are seated in groove on bushing. NOTE: The retainer should hold shield, pickup coil, and pole piece firmly.
  1. Install shaft assembly into housing.
  2. Install tanged washer, shim and drive gear (teeth up) to bottom of shaft. Align drive gear and shaft assembly.
  3. Install new roll pin and spin shaft to make sure teeth on shaft assembly do not touch pole piece.