Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

89 Camaro: 000 miles..engine runs..rpms and temperatures..cold start…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an '89...
Hi, I have an '89 Camaro 350 TPI engine with about 110,000 miles. The engine runs very
nicely at all RPMs and temperatures EXCEPT for a cold start, that is, after sitting approximately 24 hours or so. Even a start attempt when the engine has run for only a short time is A-OK (that is, the temperature gauge is not up to the half-way mark). But a start attempt after not running 24 hours or so results in having to depress the accelerator a little to keep the engine from stalling, usually 3 -4 accelerator depressions will do it. So on a cold start, the engine starts fairly quickly (maybe not quite as fast as a warm start); but to keep it running requires 3 to 4 depressions of the accelerator pedal. Once the engine achieves stable idle, it's fine. I thought it might be the EGR valve, but I can't get to it to test without removing the plenum, and there is a large bolt connecting the plenum to the engine way underneath the plenum which looks like a bear to get to, so I thought rather than plunge into that, it may be something else, like the cold start valve maybe. If you think it is the EGR valve, any tips on removing the plenum would be appreciated. Thank you. Gary

requires
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/22/2010
Chevy Mechanic: JHoop, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

The only way to deal with this requires a fuel pressure gauge.

Do you have one?
No, I do not. Could one be purchased at a Car Quest or O'Reilly's?
Yes they can.

Chime back in when you have one and are ready to diagnose with the car there.
Hi, I have yet to purchase a fuel pressure gauge, so I have yet to receive any information
that would yield any positive results. But my credit card was charged $15.00 on 6/21/10.
Please respond. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
If you have any more questions or need any diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

There is no snake oil cure here. I give precise answers.
[email protected] for a refund request.

If you have a deposit but do not click ACCEPT you will STILL be charged, but I don't get credit! Not clicking ACCEPT hurts the Techs that help you! Thanks, JHoop
jhoop,
I do not understand your answer. The only thing I know now that I didn't know before I contacted justanswer.com is that fuel pressure gauges are available at Car Quest and
O'Reillys. I do not feel I should be charged $15.00 for that information.
If you refuse to do any testing to find the problem I will opt out.

I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.

I am not refusing "to do any testing," as you put it. I said I have yet to purchase a fuel
pressure gauge. I don't know how involved the diagnosis would be if I purchased a
pressure gauge. I am not much of a mechanic, and I have limited tools.