Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

how to replace an ignition coil on a 1992 corsica

Customer Question

how to replace an ignition coil on a 1992 corsica especially how do I get to it. I can not see anything and hardly get my hands down there
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

The ignition coils are mounted to the ignition module on the front of the engine, near the radiator fans.

Remove the spark plug wires from the coil, marking their location.

Remove the two bolts from each coil an remove the coil

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for this info but the hard part is getting to it the space is so confined I do not see the bolts I can hardly get my hands down near the ignition coils and module
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Removing the air intake duct and the radiator cooling fan will give you additional room to work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Again thanks,. I was studying the diagram and I am not quite sure if the face plate "1" has one or two bolts that secure it in place? Is the easiest access to this unit from the top or the bottom?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
The base plate (1) has three mounting bolts. One on the left side and two on the right. Bottom may actually give you easier access.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question. I went to a junk yard yesterday and found an oldsmobile with a 6 cylinder 3.1l engine but with the ignition coils much easier excessable (almost on top of the engine) are these coils the same as mine 1992 Chevy Corsica?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
The coils should be the same. GM just changed the location (for obvious reasons).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome.