Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

chevy tahoe: crank..selonoid..I jumper the starter manually…

Customer Question
why would my chevy tahoe...
why would my chevy tahoe have power to the starter but would not crank,i have changed the nss on the transmission and is at a loss as to why the selonoid is not inciting from the key but would start when I jumper the starter manually
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/21/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED replied 8 years ago
Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
with the key held in the start position does the crank fuse have power?
I have not been able to hold the key in the crank position and test the crank circuit but I can check,but both the starter relay and the ignition switch circuit have power to them in the on position
when dealing with the starting system circuits they will have to be tested with the key in the start position.
let me understand that the start position is when the key is on and the instrument cluster displays the check engine and all other funcions of operation,if we agree here I have made the needed test in this position only
no, start position is when you are trying to crank the engine over.
I could not get to check the circuits in this position since I need two persons to achieve this,but when i try to crank it the dash just lights up and the only thing that is strange is the oil guage flickers off the designated range,but no cranking from the starter
please reply back when you get a second hand so we can do this right. i will be online off and on during the morning and a couple of hours at 6:30pm central time. thanks