Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

SSR: park..nuetral as it will roll if I take the emergency brake…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Chev...
I have a 2005 Chev. SSR that the automatic gear shift is locked in park. The car is in nuetral as it will roll if I take the emergency brake off and the light on the gear shift indicator says N. THe car will start but IL can not get into any gear. Any ideas? Thanks Buddy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/20/2010
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

You have a broken shifter cable or one of the ends has come loose form the levers. Can you check the cable at the trans and see if it has come loose?

Is this a dealer repair or can any shop fix this problem, What do you think a fair price for the repair should be? If the cable is just loose or if the cable has been broken?

If the cable is broken then you are looking at about $150.00 parts and labor at your local shop. And yes you can take it to your regular mechanic to have it repaired.

IF it has just come loose then depending on if the end of the cable has broken or not then it could be a much smaller amount.