Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

my steering colum The steering wheel wobbkles..3 bolts..tightened…

Customer Question
I have a wobble in...
I have a wobble in my steering colum The steering wheel wobbkles.. I have renmoved the wheel but it appeaars I have to go deeper to find the problem.. I was told there a re 3 bolts that need to be tightened. But cant figure hoe to go past the biklnker backing plate.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/19/2010
Chevy Mechanic: John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician replied 8 years ago
John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.

Here is info on getting to the bolts that tend to come loose.IT requires special tools.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1988-94 Models

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

CAUTION When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.

1. Make sure the switch is in the off position.
  2. Remove the steering wheel as outlined in this section.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Retaining ring removal

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Pliers may be used to remove the turn signal wire protector

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Removing the turn signal switch

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Install the lockplate and the retaining ring using the tool illustrated (or its equivalent)

1. Remove the instrument panel trim cover.
  2. Insert a screwdriver into the lockplate cover slot and pry out the cover. Remove the lockplate. A special tool is available to do this. The tool is an inverted U-shape, with a hole for the shaft. The shaft nut is used to force it down. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove. Discard the snapring.
  3. Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
  4. Remove the turn signal lever screw and lever.
  5. Press the hazard button inward and unscrew it.
  6. Remove the switch retaining screws. Pull the switch connector out of the mast jacket and feed the switch connector through the column support bracket.
  7. Position the turn signal lever and shifter housing in the downward, or "low" position and pull downward on the lower end of the column using a pliers on the tab provided. Remove the wire protector.
  8. Remove the switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.

To install:

1. Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket.
  2. Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
  3. Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
  4. With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, slide the thrust washer, upper bearing preload spring, and canceling cam into the shaft.
  5. Position the lockplate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove.
  6. Install the cover and the steering wheel.

This tells me how to get the steering wheel off.and the blinker palte . I have been to that step.. But the wheel still wobbles on the shaft.. How do I get to the screws that are loose and causing the problem

Thanks John

IT's called a turn signal switch & lock plate.

OK padna,the bolts that secure the steering bowl are #38.Lotta little pieces,you ever done this one?

Actually I have done this one. .Have you ? But it has been a while.. Is there a keeper behind the turn signal switch and lock plate (aka blinker plate) cant rember how to get to the 38 screws... Oh By the way my name isnt padna

Well if you have done it before why are you asking me?

Yes,been there ,done that ,I do not think you have.

You would not pull my leg would you,padna ?

The turn signal switch is open in the center ,there is a washer /WASHER, SHAFT UPPER RET RING THRUST.

BEARING, STEERING COLUMN HOUSING

BUSHING, BEARING RETAINING

RETAINER, UPR BEARING

All around the steering shaft,under the turn signal switch.