Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1988 chevy: accelerator..it sputtered, died and wouldnt start..Towed…

Customer Question
I have an 1988 chevy...
I have an 1988 chevy paickup. Was driving it, it sputtered some, I step on the accelerator and gassed it, and it sputtered, died and wouldn't start anymore. Towed it home. And it still won't start, but will turn over good. Can you advise?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/19/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Does the vehicle start when you spray some extra fuel into throttle?
HAve you verified spark? Pull a plug wire. Using the engine as a ground check for spark to jump from the wire to ground creating a 1/2" blue spark. Do this while cranking.
Will you try this and let me know?
Ok haven't tried spark, thought of that. Will do. Will let you know shortly.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to me when you can.
Ok. Can't verify spark, insulator too long on wire. It is getting gas into carborater. Still won't crank but turns over.