Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Intermittent ac on a 94 lt1; runs..fans

Customer Question
intermittent ac on a 94...
intermittent ac on a 94 lt1; runs hot when stopped..primary and secondary fans working..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/15/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings, my name is Mark.

You don't mention how many miles on your vehicle. But none the less, you have to have a partially plugged radiator. I am only going by what you are telling me, but logic and theory over-ride any other symptoms.

If you had an engine mechanical issue, your over-heating would show up whether you were idling or driving down the highway. Same goes with a stuck thermostat. You overheat should show either way.

Now lets talk theory. You say it only happens when idling. Well, then, driving at highway speeds, you're getting enough air flow to cool the fins on both the condenser and radiator. But with a partially plugged radiator, and yes, I am talking both internal and external, the cooling fans cannot draw enough air across to cool.

Your radiator is 16 olds. That's a lot of mileage and age to collect a lot of debris. Most little bits of sand gets lodged in the fin core. Also, some internal blockage occurs with just normal use and old coolant.

The best and most efficient repair would be to replace the radiator. Then, when the radiator is out, take a garden hose and spray the condenser out towards the front. Clean the cowl and area. Install your new radiator and top off the coolant with a good 50/50 mixture.

Pretty much can assure you your issue will be solved. Do this repair all too many times.

If you're not in the market for replacing the radiator, and you really can't quite believe me, the next best thing would be to remove the cooling fans and take your garden hose and spray out towards the front of the vehicle. Better yet would be to remove the radiator, clean out between the radiator and condenser, and then reinstall.

You won't be out any money for parts, just some labor. You'll find it will be much better and should get you by.

How come the car does not overheat at idle when the ac is working..Is that because the primary and secondary fans are not working when the ac is not..the ac is working intermittently and the car does not overheat when the ac is running ,?
Hello............

I will tell you that both fans come on, and even come on HIGH with the AC on. BUT, if the engine is running hot, the fans should come on HIGH also, I still highly suspect you have a radiator / condenser "plugged" issue.

If I am to read your second post, the fact that the engine does NOT run hot when the AC is on, further confirms and supports the radiator issues. Your condenser gets extremely hot as the freon is changing properties in the condenser. You really need to dissipate the heat from the condenser. A partially plugged and in-efficient radiator will really show up when the AC is on.