Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car stalls and wont restart until it has sat for a while..OBD…

Customer Question
car stalls and wont restart...
car stalls and wont restart until it has sat for a while. OBD CODE is P0102
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/15/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

the code you are getting is for the maf sensor...it may be bad,,sometimes you can clean these with carb cleaner,and they will work fine....also,the crank sensor can cause this problem when they first start going bad..please print

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

P0102

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the MAF sensor signal in order to provide the correct fuel delivery for a wide range of engine speeds and loads. A small quantity of air entering the engine indicates deceleration or idle. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load situation. The MAF sensor has an ignition 1 voltage circuit, a ground circuit and a signal circuit. The PCM applies a voltage to the sensor on the signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage in order to produce a frequency based on inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The frequency will vary within a range of around 2,000 Hertz at idle to about 10,000 Hertz at maximum engine load. DTC P0102 will set if the PCM detects a frequency signal lower than the possible range of a normally operating MAF sensor.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• The engine is cranking for 0.5 second , or is running for 1 second .
  • The engine speed is at least 50 RPM .
  • The ignition 1 signal is greater than 8 volts .
  • The IAC position is greater than 5 counts.
  • All of the above conditions are present for greater than 1 second .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• The MAF sensor frequency signal is less than 1,200 Hz .
  • The above condition is present for greater than 12 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The control module illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect for the following conditions:

• A misrouted harness. Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor in order to ensure that the harness is not routed too close to the following:
  • Secondary ignition wires or coils
  • Any solenoids
  • Any relays
  • Any motors
  • A low minimum air rate may cause this DTC to set during deceleration. Inspect for the following conditions:
  • A plugged or collapsed intake air duct or dirty air filter element
  • Objects blocking the air inlet screen of the MAF sensor.
  • Throttle bore and throttle plate coking.
  • A Wide Open Throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF display on a scan tool to increase from about 4-7 g/s at idle to about 130 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If not, inspect for a restriction.
  • Any unmetered air entering the engine may cause this DTC to set. Inspect for vacuum leaks anywhere downstream of the MAF sensor.

If you suspect the vehicle condition may be related to aftermarket accessories, refer to Checking Aftermarket Accessories in Diagrams.

TEST DESCRIPTION

Steps 1-8
Steps 9-17
Steps 18-23
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step verifies the signal circuit from the MAF sensor electrical connector to the PCM. A voltage reading of less than 4 volts or greater than 6 volts indicates a malfunction in the wiring or a poor connection.
  2. This step tests the signal circuit of the MAF sensor for a short to another 5-volt reference circuit.

Locations
Air Flow Meter/Sensor
icon_note_blank.gif Locations View
icon_note_blank.gif Locations View

Service and Repair

MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Remove the fuel injection sight shield. IMPORTANT: The MAF sensor on this engine is attached to the throttle body assembly.
  3. Disconnect the MAF sensor electrical connector (8) from the MAF sensor (1).
  4. Remove the screws (9) that hold the MAF sensor to the throttle body.
  5. Remove the MAF sensor (1) from the throttle body.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the MAF sensor (1) to the throttle body.
  2. Install the screws (9) that hold the MAF sensor to the throttle body. Tighten Tighten the screws to 3 N.m (27 lb in) .
  3. Connect the MAF sensor electrical connector (8) to the MAF sensor (1).
  4. Install the fuel injection sight shield.
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Replacement

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  3. Remove the right splash shield cover.
  4. Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer.
  5. Remove the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) shield (1). Do Not use a pry bar.
  6. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.

1. Remove 2 attaching bolts from the CKP sensor.
  2. Remove the CKP sensor from the block face.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Position the CKP sensor to the block.
  2. Install the bolts that hold the CKP sensor to the block face. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 30 N.m (22 lb ft) .

1. Install the CKP sensor shield (1).
  2. Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector.
  3. Position the crankshaft harmonic balancer on the crankshaft.
  4. Install the right splash shield cover.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.