Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Chevy prizm: no sticker about oil changes..changed in awhile…

Customer Question
My daughter bought a 2002...
My daughter bought a 2002 Chevy prizm with 85000. There was no sticker about oil changes. So, I took it to Uncle Ed's who told me the oil was really dirty and didn't look like it had been changed in awhile and that would mean slude buildup in engine. They suggested an engine flush so I thought I was doing the right thing getting the car on the right foot for a 16 year old. After I talked to my brother in law who stated engine flushes are really dangerous because dislodged particles could remain and blow the engine. What should I do? Should I go get the oil changed again right now to see if any particles drain? What would be signs that engine was damaged? Haven't been able to think straight since having it done on Thursday. Car seems okay so far but definetly don't have money to replace an engine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/13/2010
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Chat Conversation Started
kalamykid :

the best thing to do is to pull the oil pan off and make sure the pick up screen for the oil pump is clean and cleear of sludge.

Customer:

Will this be accomplished by taking it in for another oil change or will I have to find a mechanic to do it.

kalamykid :

You will have to have a mechanic do it if you do not want to do it yourself. An oil change does not include the pan to come off, so the oil change place will not be able to do it.

kalamykid :

It is not a hard job if you want to do it yourself and save some money I can walk you through all the steps.

Customer:

Looking at the internet it makes it sound like anyone who has an engine flush will have engine failure-is it that common where I should be this worried.

Customer:

I'm not sure I could do it myself if requires alot of strength or tools.

kalamykid :

When you have an enf=gine flush there will be some sludge left behind that will fall to the bottom of the engine and that will build up around the oil pump pick up screen and that is where the problem comes from.

Customer:

can you give me the steps and i can see if a neighbor can help me

kalamykid :

Not that much strength and just a couple of tools to do the job. You would need a metric socket set and a jack, two jack stands, and a drain bucket to catch the oil.

kalamykid :

Jack up the front end and put the jack stands under the front end to hold it up[ while you are under the car. Drian the oil out of the oil pan and pull the oil filter. Then unbolt the oil pan bolts and pop the pan off. lean the old gasket off and make sure to clean the inside of the pan and the pick up screen off. Put the new pan gasket in place and use some rtv black in the corners on the block. Bolt the pan back up and put the new filter and oil in and you are done.