Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

engine starts then surges acts..runs good..drove..cranked..throttle…

Customer Question
engine starts then surges acts...
engine starts then surges acts like it is either starving for fuel or is loading up runs good after finally geting on road drove it about 15 miles last nite after sitting for 30 min.engine cranked but did not seem to want to respond to throttle forabout 1 min. my email add. [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/12/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Matt Carey, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Chevy Technician

Hi this is Matt. Do you have any codes? Do you have a scanner? With a scanner you could check the fuel trims to see if it is running rich or lean, and when.

Surging at idle is usually a sign of a vacuum leak. Can you hear a hiss, or try spraying carb cleaner to look for a leak, when/ if you hit the right spot, you will hear the motor change.

Let me know, It runs fine, except for at idle? Also check the motor size, did you mean a 4.3L? let me know what equipment you have available to you? If you don't have a scanner, can you get the codes read at autozone, etc..? MATT