Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

what make a make a vehicle seen like it straving for gas…

Customer Question
what make a make a...
what make a make a vehicle seen like it straving for gas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/10/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

if you are continuing to get MAF codes you need to check the wiring to the sensor

particularly the power and ground

unplug the MAF and see if it has power if so you need to check the wiring harness

do you have the engine code that is showing up?

Paul

PO102

I want you to check for battery voltage on the pink wire at the sensor

and ground on the black wire

do you have a meter?

do this with the key on

one lead to black and the other to the pink is battery voltage present?

Paul

what meter do i need?

it would be best to use a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) you can pick one up at radio shack for around 20 dollars

you can check it with a test light but that will not show actuall voltage

Paul

the plug with three wires going to the MAF 12.52-53 the plug with two wires 4.99

the 3 wire plug

with meter between the PINK and the BLACK/WHITE wire

is it 12volts?

Paul

Yes

ok so voltage is good to the MAF

do the pins look good and tight? if they are stretched or spread at all they may not be making a good connection at the sensor

there is also information that the MAP sensor can cause this code

I am going to attach a test for the MAP / MAF sensors I want you to perform

also inspect the MAP sensor connector for any damage. there is also a vacuum source under the MAP check that is tight

click here for the testing information (Montanta is same engine package)

click here for the MAP location

let me know what you find and if you need more help

thanks

Paul

engine runs good on the MAP and MAF. when i plug the MAF backup it starts

when you plug in the MAF it starts to run bad?

so it runs good with MAF unplugged?

Paul