Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

sensors is bad will the other 3 reset..tires until the horn honks…

Customer Question
if one of the sensors...
if one of the sensors is bad will the other 3 reset following the reset proceedure ie letting air out of tires until the horn honks ???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

Do you get the service tire monitor warning in the dash?

Yes. before My wife took to dealership 3 sensors were working, when they were through resetting none of the four worked

OK, the whole procedure needs to be completed or the system will not work.

DO the remotes for the doors seem to have a lower range?

yes I have to be closer to the car

OK, there is a bulletin for this issue and it includes the tire sensors. The issue is a bad antenna that has causes the module not to work great. The fix is to install an updated antenna that is not grounded and will not allow the remote control door lock receiver to be damaged by static. They also suggest to replace the remotes.

After it they will need to program the new module.

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.
The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.
The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and/or Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause

Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure:

Impala / Monte Carlo

1.1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.
1.2. Unplug the speaker.
1.3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).
1.4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.
1.5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.
1.6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.
1.7. Remove the RCDLR module.
1.8. Install the new RCDLR module.
1.9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.
1.10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.
1.11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.
1.12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.
1.13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important: Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

1.14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.

Impala / Monte Carlo

Part Number

Description

25876416

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Impala with RVS Only)

25845987

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Monte Carlo Only)

15912859

Transmitter -- 4 Button with Trunk

15912860

Transmitter -- with Remote Vehicle Start System

25896540

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and without RVS)

25896497

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and RVS)