Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Silverado with the duramax...water pump with an new OEM.

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Silverado...
I have a 2005 Silverado with the Duramax. I just changed the water pump with an new OEM. I now have a lot of gear train noise. Do you have any suggestions what that might be?
I did also remove the serpentine belt to make sure it wasnt coming from any other accessories but the noise was still there.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/9/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Dino, auto tech replied 8 years ago
Dino
Dino, auto tech

hello welcome to the site

did you install the bolts in the correct order ? the bolts are different lengths

this was a factory pump from the dealer correct ?

all bolts went back in the same places. and the pump was OEM from a GMC dealer
ok i was looking at the directions and their is 3 bolts that need to go back in the same location.this all started after you installed the new pump correct.
All started after the pump was installed . One bolt was longer and the others that bolt the pump to the timing cover where the same. I put the bolts that hold the cover to the pump with those same bolts

ok silly question but did you happen to match this up with the original pump ?

this sure sounds like the pump is wrong maybe mis boxed.

at this point i personally would remove the pump and compare and inspect the pump for any wear marks.

all looked the same and the cover and pump mounting lined up with no problems. Just very time consuming to remove to inspect

yes i understand this but you have to see where im going with this.

this all started after you installed this and now you have the noise.

this is what i would do if i was in your shoes.

or the bolts are in the wrong locations.

graphic

I see what your looking at. I hope this is it. or hope it didnt damage anything if it is bolt length. Do you have that service notice for fastener info?
this is about the bolts been different lengths

Thanks Dino

I will inspect things tomorrow.

ok sounds like a plan .

i have a feeling the you have the bolts in the wrong spot and they are making contact .

when you remove the 1 at a time inspect the end to see if it's been rubbing.