Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1993 chevy: happen more..incline.....when NOT accelerating

Customer Question

my 1993 chevy pickup shuts off unexpectedly while coming to a stop. It seems to happen more often on an incline..up or down...when NOT accelerating
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi

this sounds as if you have a bad pick-up coil..this is inside the distributer,,these will do this and not give a code sometimes

thanks

[ ]

Typical Distributor Components

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WOULD THAT EXPLAIN WHY IT HAPPENS ON AN INCLINE AND THE DELAY OF 5 OR 10 MINUTES BEFORE RESTARTING

no

this would do it on the level also..these may do this with heat...when it dies,you need to check to if you have a spark on the spark plugs..if so..check to see if you are getting fuel to the engine..if you are not..the problem may be a busted fuel line from the pump to the sender inside the fuel tank,,these may bust sometimes and picks up the fuel much higher than it is suppose to..if the truck is up or down hill,then the pump wont pick up fuel

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Heat may be an issue.. It seems to always be after a 15 to 20 minute ride. The incline issue may be coincidental I live and work on a hill. It happens after the ride to work and from work to home. It's about the only ride this dependable chev with 188000 miles gets every day. I bought it new in '93'. I have excepted your answer and also replied.Thank you

thanks

replace the pick-up coil.,,this should fix you..note[while doing this take the ignition module to auto zone or most parts stores,,they can test this..and they will do it for free]the ignition module can also cause a similar problem

thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me if you got paid????...I want to make sure I did this right..
Also, your first schematic you sent of the distributer keeps changing when I click on it to a completly differant item, as if I am turning pages. Is that normal?

sorry i did not..you will need to click the accept button....i will resend the picture..it only stays on for an hour or so..so please print

thanks

[ ]

Typical Distributor Components

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ignition modual (Part #14) in drawing correct?

yes..this is easy to get off and most auto parts stores can test it...tell the person testing it to get it hot....but,i would think it will be the pick-up coil #11

thanks

if i have helped you..please click the accept button

thanks again

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry Tim it's not working or it's in the process. I keep getting access denied!!!!
I will make sure you get your money

that is ok..the site gets messed up from time to time

thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tim
Thanks for your help, it ended up being the ignition module...good thing it was way less work for a welder, like me, then having to replacing the pick-up coil. Thanks again
Bob

great....lad you got it

thanks for using justanswer