Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how to change heater core in 2001 chevy 1500

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/24/2010
Chevy Mechanic: cartech, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
do you have air conditioning
yes a/c and 4X4 need step by step what to take off a how to replace are their diagram
first thing that has to be done is the dash removed is this something that you want to do

how to remove dash and everything to get to heater core

Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
    Personal injury
    Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the I/P trim pad. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement .
  3. Remove the center console, if equipped. Refer to Console Replacement .
  4. Remove the I/P extension, if equipped. Refer to Instrument Panel Extension Replacement .
  5. Remove the driver side knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
  6. Remove the lower I/P trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement .
  7. Remove the passenger side air bag module. Refer to Instrument Panel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement in SIR.
  8. Remove the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.
  9. Remove the HVAC control. Refer to HVAC Control Module Replacement in HVAC Systems-Manual or Automatic.
  10. Remove the accessory switch housing. Refer to Accessory Switch Replacement .
  11. Remove the left air louver housing. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Air Outlet Deflector Replacement - Left Side in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
  12. Remove the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  13. Remove the VIU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Interface Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
  14. Remove the VCU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Communication Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
  15. Remove the remote control door lock receiver module, if equipped. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in Keyless Entry.
  16. Remove the data link connector from the I/P. Refer to Data Link Connector Replacement in Data Link Communications.
  17. Remove the park brake release lever from the I/P. Refer to Parking Brake Release Handle Assembly Replacement in Park Brake.
  18. Remove the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
  19. Remove both front window air duct from the I/P assembly.
  20. Remove the harness from the I/P. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.
    Object Number: 394655  Size: SH

21. Remove the I/P assembly retaining bolts (3) and nuts (4).
  22. Remove all harness hold down retainers from the I/P assembly.
  23. Remove the I/P assembly from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 348641  Size: SH

24. Remove the I/P upper brackets.
  25. Disconnect all the electrical connectors from the wiring harness junction block. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.
  26. Remove the transfer case control module from the bracket, if equipped. Refer to Transfer Case Shift Control Module Replacement in Transfer Case NV6 246 - NP8.
  27. Remove the antenna cable from the cross car duct.
  28. Remove the cross car duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
  29. Remove the amplifier, if equipped. Refer to Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement in Entertainment.
  30. Separate the I/P harness from the carrier.

Do not remove the I/P harness from the vehicle.

Object Number: 892882  Size: SH

31. If replacing the HVAC module, remove the right side of the carrier from the vehicle to gain access to the module.
    Object Number: 540359  Size: SH

32. Remove the I/P center support bracket bezel (1).
    Object Number: 397332  Size: SH

Important: Remove all of the parts of the I/P carrier assembly from the vehicle as 1 unit.

33. Remove the I/P center support bracket bolt.
    Object Number: 397335  Size: SH

34. Remove the I/P carrier side bolts.

The left side is shown, the right side is similar

Object Number: 397334  Size: SH

35. Remove the I/P carrier top bolts (1).
    Object Number: 499360  Size: SH

36. Remove the I/P carrier (1) from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 499360  Size: SH

1. Position the I/P carrier (1) in the vehicle.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 397334  Size: SH

2. Install the I/P carrier top bolts (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 397335  Size: SH

3. Install the I/P carrier side bolts.

The left side is shown, the right is similar.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 397332  Size: SH
  4. Install the I/P center support bracket bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 540359  Size: SH

5. Install the I/P center support bracket bezel (1).
    Object Number: 892882  Size: SH

6. Install the right side of the carrier to the vehicle, if the HVAC module was removed.
  7. Install the retaining bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

8. Attach the I/P harness to the carrier.
  9. Install the amplifier, if equipped. Refer to in Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement in Entertainment.
  10. Install the cross car duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
  11. Install the antenna cable to the cross car duct.
  12. Install the transfer case control module to the bracket, if equipped. Refer to Transfer Case Shift Control Module Replacement in Transfer Case NV6 246 - NP8.
  13. Connect all of the electrical connectors to the wiring harness junction block. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.
    Object Number: 348641  Size: SH

14. Install the I/P upper brackets to the vehicle.

Tighten
    Tighten the retaining bolts to 2 N·m (18 lb in)

15. Install the I/P assembly to the vehicle.
    Object Number: 394655  Size: SH

16. Install the I/P assembly retaining nuts and bolts.

Ensure the wire harness is routed to all of the openings.

Tighten
    Tighten the retaining bolts and nuts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

17. Install the I/P upper brackets.
  18. Install the harness hold down retainers to the I/P assembly.
  19. Install the harness to the I/P. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.
  20. Install both front window air duct to the I/P assembly.
  21. Install the I/P cluster assembly. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
  22. Install the park brake release lever to the I/P. Refer to Parking Brake Release Handle Assembly Replacement in Park Brake.
  23. Install the data link connector to the I/P. Refer to Data Link Connector Replacement in Data Link Communications.
  24. Install the remote control door lock receiver module, if equipped. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in Keyless Entry.
  25. Install the VCU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Communication Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
  26. Install the VIU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Interface Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
  27. Install the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  28. Install the left air louver housing. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Air Outlet Deflector Replacement - Left Side in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
  29. Install the accessory switch housing. Refer to Accessory Switch Replacement .
  30. Install the HVAC control. Refer to HVAC Control Module Replacement in HVAC Systems-Manual or Automatic.
  31. Install the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.
  32. Install the passenger side airbag module. Refer to Instrument Panel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement in SIR.
  33. Install the lower trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement .
  34. Install the driver side knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
  35. Install the I/P extension, if equipped. Refer to Instrument Panel Extension Replacement .
  36. Install the center console, if equipped. Refer to Console Replacement .
  37. Install the I/P trim pad. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement .
  38. Connect the negative battery cable.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
this was to remove the dash i will continue do you understand what i have posted so far
where dose the heater core come out

when i open the door of my 2001 chevy silverodo 1500 what and how? do i have to take off and replace heater core

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
never got answer to will not pay
cartech
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician