Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a rattling sound coming from my exhaust. It is almost

Customer Question
I have a rattling sound...
I have a rattling sound coming from my exhaust. It is almost like clanging metal. My truck only does it at low rpms and when in gear.(like when I pull up to a stoplight) If it is in neutral or park or i just touch the gas just a little to make the engine vibration change the sound stops. It is very annoying and sounds terrible. I crawled underneath and it is coming from the catalitic converter. I have heard from some people that it is just the heat shield and just to rip it off. I drive a 1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2. What can I do to fix this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/25/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
All the heat shields are external so if you find one loose you can usually find a way to resecure them, like a muffler clamp or even a small tack weld. I normally don't recommend removing them as it can cause a fire under certain circumstances (like a bad spark plug causing a misfire). If you can't find any external shields loose then the noise is actually coming from inside the converter and the only way to fix that is replace the converter itself.

ok the shield that I was looking at looked like it was just clamped around the edges like wrapping aluminum foil around the side of a pan. I could not feel any place where it was spot welded...I can't see any way of getting it off without damaging the converter or taking the exhaust apart and pulling that whole section out...and if i did that wouldn't I have to get some gaskets or something to make sure the pieces fit with no leaks so that that little O2 sensor behind the converter still works properly....what are your thoughts or suggestions?

No that is part of the shell, can't take that off. If you press on that with something does it stop the rattle? Because if it is actually loose you will need a converter.

ok well that solves that....and it doesn't do anything when i push on it with a set of pliers from underneath just keeps rattling....the rattling also seems like it just keeps getting worse as the days go by...

Sounds like the insides are coming apart.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Ted G.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician