Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Monte carlo: 3.4 120k to idle upto 2k rpms? if i shut it..restart

Customer Question
What would cause my 05...
What would cause my 05 monte carlo, 3.4 120k to idle upto 2k rpms? if i shut it off and restart it its fine til you drive it and idle sticks again?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/21/2010
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Hello!

Does the check engine light come on?

Are there any codes in the computer?
The dealer said there was a high idle code in the computer but they cleared it. No the check engine light doe not come on.
Is there any way you can get that code number for me?
They didnt tell me or put it on the bill.
Can you call them?
I was wrong it is on the bill its P0507
HA! Excellent!

Give me second.
P0507 Idle Speed High -

Possible Causes
Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold)
Check for air leaks in the EGR system and in its related hoses and/or valve
Check for air leaks in the PCV system and in its related hoses and/or valve
Idle air inlet passage or throttle bore is dirty or full of deposits
MAF sensor is dirty, "skewed" or installed improperly
Throttle plate, throttle shaft or linkage is damaged or sticking

I know they checked the MAF sensor, the air leaks would be a good solution but when you turn off the engine and restart its ok, where would the idle air passage be? how would it be cleaned? is the throttle bore where the throttle position sensor is and how would it be cleaned? how can i lube the throttle linkage,shaft?

The idle passages would be from the IAC motor to the throttle body. The IAC motor would have to be removed in order to see the passages. You would also have to removed the IAC motor to clean the passages.

The tps is attached to the throttle body. It connects to the linkage on the side of the throttle body.

Yo can lube the cable or mechanical mechanism outside the throttle body with just about anything but you will need use special carbon cleaner to clean the inside of the throttle body.

Is the IAC motor and IAC the same? Im sorry im being such a pain but this is making me mad that no matter what i do, it doesnt work. Would i clean that with throttle cleaner or is there something else?

The IAC motor and the IAC are the same thing. You cannot clean this motor you can only clean the IAC motor passages. If the motor is bad, it needs to be replaced... but I think that was already done.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN