Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

What does a scan code of c1218 and c1243 mean

Customer Question
what does a scan code of c1218 and c1243 mean
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/15/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 7 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, bothe codes indictae basically the same problem. A problem has been detected withingn the EBCM/BPMV assy/. This is the complete assy that controls the anitlock brakes. . The unit contains the comuter, valves and the ABS pump motor. All parts are as one unit. When problem detected, the ABS pump motor unit must be changed. You could have sticking valve, bad pump motor Or ABS computer. Since all in one unit, you can not select which part you want to replace. When the code is set, the ABS is deactivated and normal braking continues. Not hurting anything but ABS disabled and you should be aware of that. below is the replace info for the hydraulic contol unit.

rake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: For safety reasons, the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) must not be repaired, the complete unit must be replaced. With the exception of the EBCM/EBTCM, no screws may be loosened. If screws are loosened, it will not be possible to get the brake circuits leak-tight and personal injury may result.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Remove the attaching bolts for the cruise control module.
  3. Swing the cruise control module off to the side.
  4. Disengage the red locking tab from the connector (1).
  5. Push down lock tab (1) and then move sliding connector cover (2) to the open position.
  6. Disconnect the EBCM harness connector. Important: Note the locations of the brake pipes in order to aid in installation.

1. Disconnect the brake pipes (1) from the BPMV (2).
  2. Swing the 4 brakes pipes out of the way only after covering the open pipes to avoid dripping or being contaminated.

1. Disconnect the master cylinder brake pipes (2) from the BPMV (4).
  2. It is not necessary to remove the brake pipes (2) from the master cylinder (1).
  3. Swing the 2 master cylinder brake pipes out of the way only after covering the open pipes to avoid dripping or being contaminated.

1. Remove the 2 BPMV mounting bracket nuts (3) and 1 bolt located near the bottom and one nut (1) located at the top of the BPMV mounting bracket (4) to the strut tower.
  2. Disconnect the ground strap between the EBCM assembly and the chassis.
  3. Remove the BPMV mounting bracket (4) and EBCM assembly (2) from the vehicle.

1. Remove the 4 bolts (3) that connect the BPMV (1) to the mounting bracket (2).
  2. Remove EBCM if replacing the BPMV only.

Installation Procedure

1. Install EBCM onto the BPMV(1) if replacing the BPMV only.
  2. Install BPMV and EBCM as an assembly (1) to the mounting bracket (2). Notice: Refer to XXXXX in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the 4 bolts (3) that connects the BPMV assembly (1) to the mounting bracket (2).
    • Tighten the 4 bolts (3) that connect the BPMV (1) to the mounting bracket (2) to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Install the BPMV bracket (4) to the strut tower.
  2. Install the 1 bolt and 3 nuts that attach the BPMV, mounting bracket (4) to the strut tower.
    • Tighten the lower 2 BPMV mounting bracket nuts (3) and bolt to 10 Nm (84 inch lbs.).
    • Tighten the top nut (1) for BPMV mounting bracket (4) to strut tower to 3 Nm (27 inch lbs.).

Caution: Make sure brake pipes are correctly connected to brake pressure modulator valve. If brake pipes are switched by mistake wheel lockup will occur and personal injury may result The only two ways this condition can be detected are by using a Scan Tool or by doing an Antilock stop.

Important: If a new BPMV is being installed, remove the shipping plugs from the valve openings during the next few steps when ready.

1. Install the master cylinder brake pipes (2) into the BPMV (4).
    • Tighten the master cylinder brake pipe fittings to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the brake pipes (1) on the BPMV (2).
    • Tighten all 4 brake pipe fittings to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
  1. Reconnect the ground strap between the EBCM assembly and the chassis.

1. Connect the EBCM harness connector.
  2. Push down lock tab (1) and then move sliding connector cover (2) back in home position to lock.
  3. Insert red locking tab back in place.
  4. Reinstall the cruise control module.
  5. When all procedures have been completed, the automated ABS bleed procedure is required.

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech