Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1997 Chevy Tahoe 4-wheel drive electronic transfer case not

Customer Question
working. Recently had in 4-wheel...
1997 Chevy Tahoe 4-wheel drive electronic transfer case not working. Recently had in 4-wheel drive during snow and did not go back to 2-wheel drive. Lights on buttons not lighting. Significant drag especially sharp turns going slow. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/2/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

first.check all fuses..but the problem may be the transfer case actuator,,this is located on the side of the transfer case and are known to go bad

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transfer case shields.
  2. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

1. Remove three bolts securing the motor/encoder gasket and motor/encoder to the transfer case.
  2. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

1. Install three bolts securing the motor/encoder and the rubber gasket to the transfer case. Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 37 Nm (27 ft. lbs.).
    • Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case shift shaft.
    • Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

1. Install the transfer case wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
  2. Install the transfer case shield.

Edited by tims auto repair on 3/2/2010 at 2:31 PM EST

Thanks for the answer. I probably wont be able to work on the Tahoe until Sat afternoon. I will get back to you to accept your answer as soon as I can. I had trouble with your attached pictures. If I click on the picture or on the "view full image" I get a different picture than the one you copied and if I retry I get a completely diferent picture.

Thanks

hi

that will be fine

the pictures will just stay on an hour or so,,so please print

thanks

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transfer case shields.

2. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

2. Install the transfer case shield.
Tim's Auto Repair

Sorry for the delay, my father is in the hospital out-of-town.

I have one more question. The U-joint is tight against the transfer case, will I be able to remove and replace the transfer case without removing the U-joint? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX accepted your answer.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic