Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

97 chevy venture. fans wont turn on unless i take harness off

Customer Question
of coolant temp sensor, if...
97 chevy venture. fans wont turn on unless i take harness off of coolant temp sensor, if i plug back in, fans stop and it will overheat. when i take off harness to sensor they just run all the time. someone told me it was the computer, but i changed also and still no help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier, Technician replied 7 years ago
Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier, Technician

Can you look on the radiator and see if you have a " fan " module .

graphic

Yes it does
Try unplugging that . Do the fans stop ?
Isn't that actually the coolant level sensor?

Yes it is . But for some reason in the diagram it shows it tied in to the relay . It doesn't make sense to me . Have a look at this diagram for the pressure switch . Also have a look at the relay diagram . Try unplugging the relays 1 at a time so we can determine which one is being commanded " on "

graphic

graphic

Ok, relays #10,9,12 turn off either one of the fans. #9 and 12 shut off the fan closer to radiator cap and the other one shuts off the opposite fan, I can't seem to find the fan switch. I disconnected the level sensor and the fans keep running(bare in mind I have disconnected the coolant temp sensor in order to get fans running to do these tests)

I am sorry . I read your original post wrong . I thought it was staying on all the time . Have you had your radiator checked ? Are you sure that you have filled the cooling system fully and bleed the air out of it ?

Radiator is definitely circulating, I also have a slight leak somewhere underneat on backside of engine. I can't really say my 1/2 a** mechanic blead the system correctly. How could I make sure? Are these things that would make the fans not turn on when plugged into coolant temp sensor? The coolant level is good. That's why a 3rd opinion thought it might be the computer not sending signal to fans

The fact that the fans turn on tells you the ECM circuit is working . Take the ECT out of the engine , plug it in get a really boiling hot pot of water and lower the sensor in to see if it turns the fans on . ( make sure the key is on )

ill have to try that in the morning, wharts the best way to get that sensor off without breaking it?
The Engine Coolant temperature sensor on the motor .?
yes. nevermind i think i have the socket, when i got the new ect it had a small tab for the harness i guess, didnt really want to let the socket go on smoothly.
Oh . I see what you mean .
ok after i do the boiling water test, whats next? if the fans turn on then what? if they dont? how do i properly bleed the system myself?

Fill the cooling system and open the bleed valve run the engine until there are no bubbles coming out ( straight coolant ) .

graphic

Edited by Kevin Bourcier on 2/27/2010 at 9:53 PM EST
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician