Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier: The power steering pump went..hoses

The power steering pump went...
The power steering pump went out on my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier. I removed that pump, but I have a feeling there is a crack in the pressure line as well. I have no problems replacing the pump and the hoses, but I'm not sure how to remove the pressure line. I unbolted it from the chassis, but I can't find where its hooked into the steering gear. Thanks in advance, BTW it's a 2.2L, just so you know.
2/15/2010
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

With the automatic trans, you will want to take the front exhaust pipe out to get to the P/S pressure hose. It also helps sometimes to drop the front craddle, (quarter chassis) down a little to give you more room. Not more than about 3 inches though, without taking the pinch bolt out of the steering coupler.

Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Remove the power steering pressure hose (2) from the power steering pump (1).
  2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  3. Remove the front exhaust pipe, automatic transmission only.

graphic

1. Remove the power steering pressure hose (1) from the power steering gear (3).
  2. Remove the power steering hose retainer (2).
  3. Remove the power steering pressure hose (1) from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the power steering pressure hose (1) to the vehicle.
  2. Install the power steering hose retainer (2). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precaution.
  3. Install the power steering pressure hose (1) to the power steering gear (3). Tighten the fitting to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
  4. Install the front exhaust pipe, if removed.
  5. Lower the vehicle.

graphic

1. Install the power steering pressure hose (2) to the power steering pump (1). Tighten the fitting to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
  2. Bleed the power steering system.

Very cool this is what I am looking for. I figured the cradle would play a part, but I was hoping not. Oh well, I guess that's the cost of DIY, that and having the excuse to tell the wife when she see's the new tools in the garage, lol I appreciate your quick reply, and I acctepted the answer to release the 15$. I hope that is an acceptable amount. I have never used this service before, but I am impressed. The only other question I have, If I get stuck in the middle and have another question, am I able to ask it under this same heading or do I have to pay again?
Yes, you can always log back on to this post for follow ups, however, you do have to hit the green "accept" button for the payment to go through. Thanks and I have to run out, (to look at some bedroom furniture, lol) but I will be back in about one hour.
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
I know it isn't much, but I added a few extra dollars. I really do appreciate the help. I would normally take something like this to the shop, but I have been out of work for 6 months. I have to be careful with my expenses especially with a wife, a 2 year old, and a baby due on the 23rd. The car is hitting that point where things are starting to go wrong, rear brakes, turned into a leaky wheel cylinder, which then resulted in replacing the brake line that runs from the wheel to the brake tube. I woudld rather scrap it, but I just spent $500 on a new motor so I would like to keep her going for a little while. It's my beater car to get me to and from school, so if it's something I think I can tackle I will, even if it's above my level of comfort I will at least give it a try, only way to learn right, lol...

Well thanks again for the help, I left you a very positive review, I will be sure to recommend you directly as the expert to talk if they submit a question.

I will admit wrenching on the car beats a day at the furniture store anyday, lol
Haha...alot cheaper too, (got a new bedroom set...prez day sale...yeah right) lol

But wow, congrats on the new baby, (I have 4 sons from 2 different wives) and I know how it is. The best way to learn is by doing, but watch out.....you might just end up being a mechanic....that's what happened to me, haha

Thanks a million for the bonus, and I pray that you do find some work soon
Super Mechanic,

Is there any chance you have the diagrams for the Power Steering Return line as well. I wasn't thinking when I typed the initial question and forgot to add it. I was able to get the P/S Pressure Line, but having issues with the return line. If I have to pay a couple dollars just let me know. I want to be fair.

Thanks again,
Congrats on the Furniture....
Bill
Thanks, (deeper in debt now, lol) and no problem on the return hose/line. The steps are about the same for it.

Power Steering Return Hose Replacement

Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Remove the clamp (4) and the power steering return hose (3) from the steering pump (1).

graphic

1. Remove the power steering return hose (4) from the steering gear (3).
  2. Remove the power steering return hose retainer nut (5).
  3. Remove the power steering return hose (4) from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the power steering return hose (4) to the vehicle. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precaution.
  2. Install the power steering return hose retainer nut (5). Tighten the nut to 13 Nm (10 ft. lbs.).
  3. Install the power steering return hose (4) to the power steering gear (3). Tighten the fitting to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
  5. Lower the vehicle.

graphic

1. Install the power steering return hose (3) and the clamp (4) to the power steering pump (1).
  2. Bleed the power steering system.

Super mechanic,

Hopefully by now you have your new bedroom set, I would worry if you didn't. I have a little concern, and I want to make sure there isn't a problem. Way back when we worked on my car, I believe I submitted payment and accepted your answer. I was looking at my history and it said it was waiting for something on my end. I wanted to be sure you got your payment, and if you hadn't I want to get it cleared up.

BTW it turns out the low pressure return line was my culprit. It cracked right along the metal piping that is mounted to the chassis. Talk about a pain in the butt..

Take Care,

Bill

Wow...yes it has been paid, (first time anyone has ever checked up on that, LOL) and thanks. It may have been because I sent the last post about it....sometimes that happens.

The bedroom suit is really nice, (no interest for 6 months...hahaha, that's how they get ya)

I know those PS lines can be a pain....Glad that you got it though,,good job!

Thanks again and come anytime, Super
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician