Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2006 Chevrolet Impala: resets to CAL when I turn on ignition

Customer Question
I own a 2006 Chevrolet...
I own a 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS. Past few months compass resets to "CAL" when I turn on ignition. Started happenly about once a month, then every two weeks, now once a week. When this happens it is often the case that the car doesn't start on the first turn of the key - nothing happens, no noise, just a slight "catch". Last night I put the key in the ignition and nothing happened, except the key was stuck, I could turn it from the auxilary position to the start position, but could not remove it. Tried turning steering wheel, adjusting shift (wouldn't budge), stepping on brake, etc. After about ten minutes (and arranging for AAA to come) the car started beeping to let me know the key was in the ignition and the door was open. Sure enough it started right up. Compass reset to CAL, date reset to 1-1-2003 and time reset to 12:00 AM - what could be the problem? Seems to be getting progressively worse. Had a new battery put in last year - just FYI.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/12/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Anthony, Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician

Hello!

Even thought he battery is only a year old it seems that either it went bad again or theres a bad connection at the battery. if no bad connection is found, replace the battery again.

Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician