Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 suburban code P1133 P1153 P0171 P0176

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/12/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

i think your engine is running lean..you need to check the fuel pressure..these must have no less then 60psi at all times..the fuel pump may be weak..

..also,check to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak around the intake manifold

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

fuel pressure

Testing and Inspection

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 3)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 3)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 3 Of 3)
Schematic
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
When you turn ON the ignition switch, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) turns ON the in-tank fuel pump. The in-tank fuel pump remains ON as long as the engine is cranking or running and the PCM receives reference pulses. If there are no reference pulses, the PCM turns the in-tank fuel pump OFF 2 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON or 2 seconds after the engine stops running.

The electric fuel pump attaches to the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The in-tank fuel pump supplies fuel through an in-pipe fuel filter to the fuel rail assembly. The fuel pump provides fuel at a pressure above the pressure needed by the fuel injectors. A fuel pressure regulator, attached to the fuel rail, keeps the fuel available to the fuel injectors at a regulated pressure. Unused fuel returns to the fuel tank by a separate fuel return pipe.

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. When the ignition switch is ON and the fuel pump is running, the fuel pressure indicated by the fuel pressure gauge should read 379-427 kPa (55-62 psi) . The spring pressure inside the fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure.
  2. A fuel system that drops more than 34 kPa (5 psi) in 10 minutes has a leak in one or more of the following areas:
    • The fuel pump check valve
    • The fuel pump flex pipe
    • The valve or valve seat within the fuel pressure regulator
    • The fuel injectors
  1. A fuel system that drops more than 14 kPa (2 psi) in 10 minute after being relieved to 69 kPa (10 psi) indicates a leaking fuel pump check valve.
  2. Fuel pressure that drops-off during acceleration, cruise, or hard cornering may cause a lean condition. A lean condition can cause a loss of power, surging, or misfire. You can diagnose a lean condition using a scan tool. It an extremely lean condition occurs, the heated oxygen sensors will stop toggling. The heated oxygen sensor output voltages will drop below 300 mV . The fuel injector pulse width will increase. IMPORTANT: Make sure the fuel system is not operating in the Fuel Cut-Off Mode. This can cause false indications by the scan tool.
  1. When the engine is at idle, the manifold pressure is low. This low pressure is applied to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. The low pressure will offset the pressure being applied to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm by the spring inside the fuel pressure regulator. When this happens, the result is lower fuel pressure. The fuel pressure at idle will vary slightly as the barometric pressure changes, but the fuel pressure at idle should always be less than the fuel pressure noted in step 2 with the engine OFF.
  1. A rich condition may result from the fuel pressure being above 427 kPa (62 psi) . A rich condition may cause DTC P0132, DTC P0152, DTC P0172 or DTC P0175 to set. Driveability conditions associated with rich conditions can include hard starting followed by black smoke and a strong sulfur smell in the exhaust.
  2. This test determines if the high fuel pressure is due to a restricted fuel return pipe, or if the high fuel pressure is due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
  1. A lean condition may result from the fuel pressure being below 379 kPa (55 psi) . A lean condition may cause DTC P0131, DTC P0151, DTC P0171, or DTC P0174 to set. Driveability conditions associated with lean conditions can include hard starting, hesitation, poor driveability, lack of power, surging, and misfiring.
  2. Restricting the fuel return pipe with the fuel pipe shut-off adapter causes the fuel pressure to rise above the regulated fuel pressure. Using a scan tool to pressurize the fuel system, the fuel pressure should rise above 427 kPa (62 psi) as the valve on the fuel pipe shut-off adapter connected to the fuel return pipe becomes partially closed.
  1. Check the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation in order to determine if that particular fuel injector is leaking. If checking the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation does not determine that a particular fuel injector is leaking, use the following procedure:
  1. Remove the fuel rail.
  2. Reinstall the crossover pipe to the right fuel rail.
  3. Connect the fuel feed pipe and the fuel return pipe to the fuel rail.
  4. Lift the fuel rail just enough to leave the fuel injector nozzles in the fuel injector ports.
  5. Pressurize the fuel system by using the scan tool fuel pump enable.
  6. Visually and physically inspect the fuel injector nozzles for leaks.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic