How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Nova Your Own Question
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 19452
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
Dave Nova is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2003 silverado K1500 5.3 L, replacing oil pressure sending

This answer was rated:

2003 silverado K1500 5.3 L, replacing oil pressure sending unit. I understand it is located where the distributor used to be on older 350's, behind the intake manifold. Looks like it's a lot of fun to replace. Any tips or tricks I can use?

The sensor is not too difficult to replace. Removing the plastic shield over the engine will give you a bit more room. The job is definitely easier with the proper socket. They sell special sockets for these sending units. You may be able to use a conventional socket, just check the fit on the new sending unit before crawling up on top of the engine and finding out it won't fit.




Tighten the new oil pressure sensor to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So i don't need to remove the intake manifold to get to it?

No, you do not need to remove the intake manifold. If you use the proper socket and a 6" extension and a ratchet, you should be able to go in behind the manifold and have plenty of room. I have replaced several of these without removing the manifold and GM's service procedure does not call for removing the manifold.
Dave Nova and 6 other Chevy Specialists are ready to help you