Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1999 chevy suburban 5.7 v-8. Rough idle, air cleaner smells

Customer Question
of gas. Changed plugs and...
1999 chevy suburban 5.7 v-8. Rough idle, air cleaner smells of gas. Changed plugs and still have problem. Codes are p1061 p0306 p0507 any ideas?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/8/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

the problem may be the idle air control valve,,sometimes you can remove and clean these with carb cleaner and they will work fine,though you may need a new one..also,you may also have a bad o2sensor..the p0306 is a missfire on the #6 cylinder

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

P0161

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 2)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 2)
Schematic
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies a bias voltage approximately 450 mV on the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) signal high and low circuits. When you turn the ignition to the ON position, battery voltage is supplied to the HO2S heater. As the heater reaches the operating temperature, the HO2S voltage responds by changing from a bias voltage range to the normal operation. Typically, as the HO2S reaches the operating temperature, the HO2S voltage goes from a bias voltage to a voltage below 300 mV . Depending on the exhaust gas content, it is possible for the HO2S voltage to go above 450 mV .

The PCM runs the heater test only on a cold start depending on the cumulative air flow and only once an ignition cycle. When you start the engine, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltage. When the HO2S voltage goes above or below the bias range threshold, the PCM determines how much time it took. If the PCM detects that the process took too much time for the HO2S to enter into normal operating range, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) sets. The time the process takes the HO2S to reach operating temperature is based on the amount of air that flows into the engine.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• No active Mass Air Flow (MAF) DTCs
  • No active Intake Air Temperature (IAT) DTCs
  • No active Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) DTCs
  • No active Throttle Position (TP) DTCs
  • No active injector DTCs
  • No active crank sensor DTCs
  • No active ignition control DTCs
  • The IAT and the ECT are less than 50°C (122°F) and are within 8°C (14.5°F) of each other at engine start-up.
  • The ignition voltage is between 10 volts and 18 volts .
  • The secondary Air Injection (AIR) , Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) , and the catalyst diagnostics are not active.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The HO2S voltage remains between 300 mV and 700 mV for a predetermined amount of time depending on ECT and air flow.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The PCM turns OFF the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

IMPORTANT: Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM.

Using the Freeze Frame and Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records data can help determine how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also help determine how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions such as RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature, etc. that you observed. This will isolate when the DTC failed.

• The heater diagnostic will only run on a cold start and run once per ignition cycle.
  • An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or contamination.

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. The engine must be allowed to cool, as the HO2S may be at operating temperature and no drop or rise in HO2S voltage would occur. If the HO2S voltage stays between 300-700 mV , indicates the HO2S heater is inoperative,
  2. If more than one HO2S heater DTC is set, this is a good indication that the HO2S fuse is open. Test all the related circuits going to all of the heated oxygen sensors for a short to ground. If you cannot locate a shorted circuit, it may be necessary to disconnect each HO2S one at a time to locate a shorted sensor.
  3. This step tests whether the ignition positive voltage supply is available at the sensor.
  4. This step tests whether a ground is available at the sensor.
  5. This step tests whether the HO2S heater element is internally open.
  6. Inspect the ignition positive voltage circuits at the Underhood Electrical Center for poor connections.
  7. Test the ground circuits for an open if more than one heater DTC sets.

P0507

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 2)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 2)
Schematic
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controlled stepper motor located on the throttle body. The stepper motor drives a valve pintle which protrudes into a passage that bypasses the throttle plates. The PCM commands the IAC valve pintle to extend to decrease the idle speed. The bypass air flow is reduced and the idle speed decreases as the pintle approaches its seat. The PCM retracts the IAC valve pintle away from its seat to increase the idle speed. The retracting of the IAC valve pintle allows more air to bypass the throttle plates. The PCM uses the IAC system to maintain a desired idle speed. This DTC sets when the PCM detects an engine speed outside of the IACs range of control.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• No active Mass Air Flow (MAF) DTCs
  • No active Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) DTCs
  • No active Throttle Position (TP) DTCs
  • No active fuel trim DTCs
  • No active injector DTCs
  • No active misfire DTCs
  • No active Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) DTCs
  • No active Evaporative Emission (EVAP) DTCs
  • No active Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) DTCs
  • The engine run time is more than 60 seconds .
  • The ECT is 60°C (140°F) or more.
  • The IAT is more than -10°C (+14°F) .
  • The barometric pressure is more than 65 kPa .
  • The ignition voltage is between 9 volts and 18 volts .
  • TP sensor angle is less than 1 percent .
  • The vehicle speed is no more than 1 mph (1.6 km/h) .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• The actual idle speed is 200 RPM more than the desired idle speed.
  • All of the above conditions are present for 5 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

Using Freeze Frame and Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records data can aid in determining how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also aid in determining how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions, such as RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature etc., that you observed. This will isolate when the DTC failed.

TEST DESCRIPTION
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

1. This test determines whether or not the engine can achieve the commanded RPM, and if not, whether the RPM is too high or too low.
Tim's Auto Repair
The pictures that were supplied on you link are not related to my problem. Each time I try to click on one something completly different comes up. Would be helpful to know where the idle control valve is located. Nothing supplied below your answer pertains to my question. Thanks Buddy

hi.

sorry but the pictures on this program will only stay up a couple of hours

i will give you the location

thanks

Locations
Engine, LH Side" width="500" height="615"/> Engine, LH Side
Description

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic