Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

my car wont drive in drive or over drive but will reverse,

and go in 1st or...
my car wont drive in drive or over drive but will reverse, and go in 1st or 2nd gear
2/3/2010
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

does the engine light come on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

thanks

no engine light

ok

if you manually shift it what happens?tell me all you can

thanks

the car will run, engine was rebuilt 2 years ago, 225k miles, had ball joints and driverside cv joint repaired 2 months ago. Really it just sounds like it is in neutral when I am in drive or overdrive. I check fluid levels, was a little low but I added some. Tried it in 2nd gear it went, so i tried 1st it went then too. shift it to drive or overdrive, nothing it wont go. When I shift to 1st or 2nd I can feel it go into gear, but drive or overdrive i don't feel it go into gear. I also tried reverse and that works too.

ok

this isn't good..it sounds as if the forward sprag may be busted,,i think the trans will need to be rebuilt or replaced..sorry

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

A/T - No Movement in Drive or 3rd Gear

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 08-07-30-027

Date: June 04, 2008

Subject:
No Movement When Transmission is Shifted to Drive or Third - Normal Operation When Shifted to Second, First or Reverse (Replace Forward Sprag Assembly)

Models:
1982 - 2005 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2006 - 2007 Buick Rainier
2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2006 Chevrolet SSR
2006 - 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Colorado, Express, Silverado Classic, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer
2006 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
2006 - 2008 GMC Canyon, Envoy, Savana, Sierra Classic, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2006 Pontiac GTO
2006 - 2007 HUMMER H2
2006 - 2008 HUMMER H3
2006 - 2008 Saab 9-7X

with 4L60, 4L60E, 4L65E or 4L70E Automatic Transmission (RPOs MD8, M30, M32, M33 or M70)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle has no movement when the transmission is shifted to DRIVE or THIRD position, but there is normal operation when it is shifted to SECOND, FIRST or REVERSE position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a damaged forward sprag assembly (642).

Correction

When inspecting the sprag, it is important to test the sprag for proper operation by holding the outer race (644) with one hand while rotating the input sun gear (640) with the other hand. The sun gear should rotate only in the counterclockwise direction with the input sun gear facing upward. If the sprag rotates in both directions or will not rotate in either direction, the sprag elements should be inspected by removing one of the sprag assembly retaining rings (643). Refer to SI Unit Repair section for forward clutch sprag disassembly procedures.

If the sprag is found to be damaged, make repairs to the transmission as necessary. A new forward roller clutch sprag assembly is now available from GMSPO.

If clutch debris is found, it is also very important to inspect the Pressure Control (PC) solenoid valve (377) fluid screens. Clean or replace the PC solenoid (377) as necessary. It is also important to flush and flow check the transmission oil cooler using J45096. Refer to SI Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test for the procedure.

The notches above each sprag must point up as shown when assembled into the outer race.

Bearing Assembly, Input Sun Gear

Snap Ring, Overrun Clutch Hub Retaining

Hub, Overrun Clutch

Wear Plate, Sprag Assembly

Retainer and Race Assembly, Sprag

Forward Sprag Assembly

Retainer Rings, Sprag Assembly

Outer Race, Forward Clutch

Washer, Thrust (Input Carrier to Race)

The following information applies when this sprag is used in 1982-86 transmissions.

The new design sprag can be used on models 1982 through 1986, by replacing the entire assembly (637 - 644). Individual components are NOT interchangeable.

Important: The wear plate (640) and input thrust washer (660) are not required with the new sprag. Use of the thrust washer and wear plate with the new sprag assembly will cause a misbuild (correct end play cannot be obtained).

Parts Information

Warranty Information

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic