Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Replace the oil dipstick tube on a 200 Tahoe with 5.3L vortec?

Customer Question
How do I replace the...
How do I replace the oil dipstick tube on a 200 Tahoe with 5.3L vortec?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/2/2010
Chevy Mechanic: carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician

Is the dipstick still intact?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

The dipstick is intact. The tube is broken at the support bracket (on the engine side).

As long as you can get to the lower section of the dipstick with a pair of vise grips, you can lightly twist the tube back and forth and get it to free up in the block and slide out..

If, the tube is to rusted and breaks, the oil pan must be removed to drive the tube up and out of the block. I've only had to do that once and it was on a badly rusted plow truck...

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Year...Josh

The tube isn't rusted, so I think the vise grips should work for removal, but how do I install the new tube? It appears to go into the oil pan behind the starter (after going between the exhaust manifold and the head/block).

Most of the time you can guide the tube inbetween everything without to mush problem. If it is just to diffucult, pull the starter to gain the access to the tube.

Once the tube starts in, just twist it back and forth and it will slip down into the block...

I always grease the end of the tube to help on the re-install...

Thanks, Josh

Just wanted to check in and see if you have had any luck with replacing your dipstick tube...

Thanks, Josh

carguyjosh
carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician