GM_MASTER_DENNY
GM_MASTER_DENNY, GM and ASE Master Tech/Shop Foreman
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.
14081360

2004 Chevy Venture: ABS light..AWD Disable lights come..Neutral

I have a 2004 Chevy Venture AWD Extended. The ABS light and then AWD Disable lights come on ONLY when speed reaches 30 mph whether in Drive or Neutral. Obviously this DOES disable both systems. If I stop, shut it off and turn it back on everything works until I travel over 30 mph. I could not get this to do it in reverse but only tried once. This is consistent every time. Local Chevy dealer scan turned up no codes at all in history for this problem. If its a wheel speed sensor/wheel bearing; which wheel? Both front bearings were replaced last Jan and may still be under a one year warranty.

The dealer technician needs to drive the vehicle with the Tech 2 connected and recording abs wheel speed data. After the fault occurs, they need to load it to TIS2WEB and view the data in graph form to see which sensor is dropping out.Once that is determined, you will know which hub assembly to replace.

Subject:ABS and/or Traction Control Lamp On, AWD Disabled Message Displayed, DTCs Set (Replace Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly)

Models:2002-2004 Buick Rendezvous
2002-2004 Chevrolet Venture
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette
2002-2004 Pontiac Aztek, Montana
with All Wheel Drive

This bulletin is being revised to change part number information and update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-05-25-004 (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS and/or traction control system lamp is illuminated. Also, the AWD disabled message may be displayed. Upon investigation, the technician may find several DTCs set.

Correction

When normal diagnosis leads to the wheel speed sensor as the suspect component, replace the front wheel bearing and hub assembly, P/N 89047684. Refer to the Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual. This new part has 6 mm (0.236 in) added to the harness to prevent any stress to the wiring.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

89047684

Hub Kit-Front Wheel

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Denny. This is an answer I have not heard before. Good job. Follow up question for you: Is it safe to say that the issue is MOST LIKELY a wheel hub assembly and therefore MOST LIKELY NOT a:

• main engine harness possibly contacting the mass air flow (MAF) sensor housing.
  • wire harness in contact with the transmission shifter cable bracket.
  • wheel speed sensors and plugs getting water intrusion and causing faulty wheel speed sensor readings to the EBCM.
  • electronic brake control module connection issue.
  •  

Thanks!!

Joe

These are a possibility:

•  

You should be able to do a quick visual inspection to rule out any of the above conditions.