Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Im getting U1301 problem on the computer. So what do I need

I'm getting U1301 problem on...
I'm getting U1301 problem on the computer. So what do I need to do to fix the "class 2 circuit short to battery?"
12/20/2009
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, and welcome. which control module was the code U1301 in?

what is a control module?

control modules are, engine control module, body control module, door control modules, heater and a/c control module, seat control modules, which module did you get the U1301 from?

I know my vehicle is a 2003 chevy suburban c1500. I took it to a local technician to find out what was wrong with it. He said it the computer is showing the "U1301" code and that there was a class 2 cummunication circuit low voltage. He said he didn't know what that meant, so I am not letting him tamper with my car. I need to know what is wrong with it so I can get it fixed. took it to get checked because every time I turn the wheel to make a left or a right turn, the whole car turns off on me. It just started doing so after I had to get it jumped by another car because my headlights were left on.

I believe it was the engine control module.

Ok, very good info, thanks for the info. do you also have a check engine light coming on?

no, but I have ABS light on and the (P) light on.

Ok, the code U1301 is a communication fault code, is set when one control module is not talking to another control module. these codes normally dont cause a running problem. this code may be why the abs light is on, but doupt it is causing the stall problem. this code probably set while jumping starting. it probably is a history code and not current. dont think I would be to concerned with this code. besides requires a high end scan tool to properly check out.

as far as the stall, does this seem to happen at slow speeds?

I'm sorry, that's the ABS light as well as the (!) (P) brake light on. But the check engine light is not on.
ok, so by any chance would you know what the problem is? The SUV kind of dims and then goes back up, but does not turn off when I am at a stop. But it does turn off when I am making a turn.
Ok, the U1301 may be a result of the abs light and brake light being on. it could be the abs control module is not communicating with the engine control module. unfortually the only way to check this code out is with a high end scan tool like a GM tech 2 scan tool. the only thing you can do without a scan tool is to check the abs fuse, it is a 60 amp fuse in the unde hood fuse block. make sure this fuse is good
the stall and idle fluct may be caused by a dirty throttle body. would clean the thottle body before i did anything else
What is the throttle body and could I do it myself or how much would it generally be to take it to a shop so they could do it for me?
yes the stall happens only at slow speeds. Sorry I just now caught that.

try cleaning the throttle body with some carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner. real simple job.

graphic

• Loosen the clamp and separate the air cleaner outlet duct at the mass air flow (MAF)/intake air temperature (IAT) sensor.
  • Loosen the clamp and separate the air cleaner outlet duct from the throttle body.
  • Remove the radiator inlet hose clamp from the outlet duct.
  • Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
  •  

• Inspect the throttle body bore and the throttle body plate for deposits. You will need to open the throttle plate in order to inspect all surfaces.
  • Clean the throttle body bore and the throttle plate using a clean shop towel with GM top engine cleaner, P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor AC Delco Carburetor Tune-up Conditioner, P/N X66P, or equivalent product.
  •  

Ok. So if I do that it might fix my problem? By the way, where can I find carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner at? Would they sell it at an autozone or something?
    yes, cleaning the throttle body normally needs repairs stalling and idle problems. and the cleaner can be bought at autozone and most parts stores
    goodwrench9124
    ok, thank you. Also, if it turns out it is not that, what else can it be?

there are several things, lean engine, low fuel pressure, intake gaskets leaking vacuum. dirty injectors. but normally if something is wrong, you would have other running problems and a check engine light on. also I have included some info on fuels and injectors

#04-06-04-047I: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only - (Aug 17, 2009)

Subject:TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only

Models:2010 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn) (U.S. Only)
    2003-2010 HUMMER H2 (U.S. Only)
    2006-2010 HUMMER H3 (U.S. Only)
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X (U.S. Only)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and additional sources to the Top Tier Fuel Retailers list. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047H (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In Canada, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022F.

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

(1)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
    (2)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with Legal Minimum additive

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards

As of August 1, 2009, all grades of the following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards:

Chevron
    Chevron-Canada
    QuikTrip
    Conoco
    Phillips 66
    76
    Shell
    Shell-Canada
    Entec Stations located in the greater Montgomery, Alabama area.
    MFA Oil Company located throughout Missouri.
    Kwik Trip, Inc. in Minnesota and Wisconsin and Kwik Star convenience stores in Iowa.
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc. at Somerset Oil stations in Kentucky.
    Aloha Petroleum
    Tri-Par Oil Company
    Turkey Hill Minit Markets
    Texaco
    Petro-Canada
    Sunoco-Canada
    Road Ranger located in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004 and many fuel marketers have joined the program and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?

On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the six automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?

All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Ok, so it can't be the transmission, right? Also, do you think it could be because I need to change the spark plugs soon?

Is the throttle body hard to reach to take out and clean? or is eveything about it a fairly easy job?

real easy, just remove the hose between the air filter box and the throttle body. open the throttle with a screw driver, use cleaner and a rag and wipe out the carbon. i posted the instructions in the above post
    it is highly unlikely is a trans problem. if you have around 100,000 miles than spark plugs would be do. but nomally spark plugs dont cause a stall problem. spark plug problems usually cause engine misses
    goodwrench9124

What do you mean by "engine misses?"

it would run rough, like not all the cylindes are there, feel like it was down on power
    Well, it kind of does seem as though it needs a power boost because, as I said before, it sounds as if it wants to turn off on me when I am at a stoplight, but it only turns off when I make a turn. The lights go dim and everything.
    i would still clean the throttle body first, this should take care of the stalling problem. I will be surprised if this doesnt fix your problem. besides this is a cheap repair, and 99 percent of the time it will repair this concern
    Ok, will do. Thank you again. I appreciate it very much. Smile
    goodwrench9124
    goodwrench9124