John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

Chevy Trailblazer: change gears..break or the floor gear shift button

Customer Question

I have an 08 Chevy Trailblazer and the key is stuck in the ignition. It starts and powers off fine. However, I can change gears without pusing the break or the floor gear shift button. The silver button on the side of the gear shift pushes in and springs back out without seaming to catch or engage.
Thank you,
Todd
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This sounds like the ignition switch has failed if you cannot remove the key.Here is some info to help replace it.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disable the SIR system. Lower the hush and knee bolster.
  2. Remove the steering column trim covers. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  4. Install the steering column trim covers. Install the hush and knee bolster. Enable the SIR system.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took my Trailblazer to the shop and the gear shifter (under the console) had a spring broken. It was replaced for about $200 and the problem was fixed.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
OK