Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

1998 Chevrolet Astro: rad..TEMPERATURE..NEW CLUTCH..CLUTCH FAN

Customer Question

1998 Chevrolet Astro Van with rear heater.Put a new stant 195 Thermostat.IT GOES TO 195 OPENS THEN THE RAD TEMP IS AROUND 120 NO HOTTER.I THINK MY OPREATING TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE HIGHER.I ALSO PUT A NEW CLUTCH FAN STILL NOT HOT ENOUGH.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
Your radiator temp will be alot cooler than your block coolant. If you are worried about getting some warmer air through the heater coil you can try a bra for your radiator. If your rear heat is cool then you may have an actuator valve stuck. It may not let the heater coolant transfer from the front to back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
COULD THE ACTUATOR VALVE BE STUCK FROM NOT HAVING SYSTEM FLUSHED OR DO THEY JUST WEAR OUT.SHOULD MY OPERATING TEMP AT RAD BE AROUND 120 DEGREES FARENHEIT THEN IT READS AROUND 52 DEGRESS CELSIUS ON GAUGES IN VAN
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
Once the valve is stuck its usually bad. dirty coolant does have an affect on it. How cold is it there?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ITS ROUND MINUS 3 TO 7.WHAT DO YOU RECOMEND FLUSH THE SYSTEM AND REPLACE VALVE WILL THIS BRING UP MY OPERATING TEMPERATURE.HOW MUCH IS THE VALVE AND IS IT EASY TO GET AT AND REPLACE.WERE IS IT LOCATED
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
let me do some checking. running your vehicle info now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OPERATING TEMP AT RAD CAP IS AROUNG 120 DEGRESS FARENHEIT.ON GAUGES IN VAN AROUND 52 DEGRESS CELSIUS.WITH THE ACTUATOR VALVE NOT TRANSFERRING THE COOLANT FROM FRONT TO BACK WOULD THIS KEEP THE OPERATING TEMP LOW .I WOULD THINK THE OPERATING TEMP SHOULD BE AROUND 180 JUST GUESSING
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
Your vehicle only has one valve for both heaters. So if the front is working then the back is also. To help your condition you can insulate your heater core hoses so the heat will remain hot when it hits the rear heater coil. Also until you get a bra for the radiator you can use some card board to restrict the air flow to produce more heat. Start out with just covering 60 percent of radiators width and hieght. If you have warmer day's the thermostate will open more and fan will work more to even it out. We have bra's on all our mercedes buses they just run to cool. and its only 20 to 30 here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE FRONT HEAT IS WORKING .THE REAR HEAT IS BLOWING BUT NO HEAT.SO JUST LEAVE THE VALVE AND DONT CHANGE IT JUST TRY COVERING UP RAD TO BRING UP OPERATING TEMPERATURE
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
Correct. i have put in a requrest for info with my site and asked to be sure there is not a secondary valve for your auxilary hearter. I will let you know in the morning if naything changes. But you will warm up so much faster and keep so much warmer the instant you get some restriction on the radiator. If the back heat warms up also we have a confirmation there also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks wil check in the morning
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
Ok good luck and I will let you know.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 7 years ago.
They did not show one. Let me know how `the insulation of the heater hoses and restricting air flow goes. It should help alot.