Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2003 chevy blazer engine code p0101 map sensor or mas sensor

Customer Question

2003 chevy blazer engine code p0101 map sensor or mas sensor poor fuel milage where do i start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 years ago.
If you have a P0101, you need to look for any air leaks on the air inlet tube. Most commonly, the breather tube is loose and it's sucking air in from there. Aside from that, it probably needs a MAF sensor. Cleaning them does not always work. Do you have a K&N filter or anything like that on it, or does it still have the original air cleaner setup?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YOU WILL HAVE TO BRIEFLY DESCRIBE THE BREATHER TUBE AS TO ITS LOCATION OR WHAT IT IS CONNECTED TO. AS FAR AS AIR LEAKS WHAT DO I LOOK FOR
The big air duct that goes from the air filter to the top of the engine, if the flexible portion is cracked and allowing air to enter, that's a problem. Also, where it attaches on top of the engine, there is a nipple that sticks out of it, it points toward the back of the truck, and there is a black plastic tube that is supposed to be attached there, many times people take this duct off for one reason or another, and simply forget to reattach this breather tube, and it sets codes. The MAF sensor is located right next to the air filter, and it measures the air coming into the engine, so any air that is entering downstream from there is not measured, and this any unmeasured air will cause P0101, as the computer thinks the MAF reading isn't high enough.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IF THERE ARE NO LEAKS AS YOU DESCRIBED HOW WILL I KNOW THE MAF SENSOR NEEDS REPLACED
P0101 tells me that it needs a MAF, but the preliminary check would be to look for the leaks first. No leaks, put a MAF in it, clear the codes, and it should be good to go.