carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field
12326834

how do you remove ignition cylinder from a 93 chev truck

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  jim replied 7 years ago.
Standard column or tilt column? Floor shift or column shift?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tilt column shift
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I see that Jim is off-line. I would like to help you out with your repair.

The repair is not to difficult but some odd tools are needed. To replace the switch you will need a steering wheel puller and a tool called a lock plate depressor. Both of these tools are available at your local parts store.

First, remove the steering wheel horn pad, most likely just pulls off of the steering wheel.

Next, remove the 13/16 nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering shaft, using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel..

Once the steering wheel is off, you then need the lock plate depressor. Install the lock plate depressor, force the lock plate down and with 2 90degree picks, remove the circle clip the secures the lock plate. Once the clip is removed, you can then pull the lock plate, plastic horn contacts and the spring off and set aside...

Now you will be looking at the turn signal switch. First remove the 1 screw that hold a small metal piece that locks the turn lever to the switch. Be sure to pay attention to how that piece mounts for reassembly.

Next, at the bottom of the steering column, you need to unplug the signal switch. Once the switch is unplugged, remove the 3 screws that hold the switch in place and pull the switch back just far enough to get it over the steering shaft. Do Not, remove it from the column..

Now, with the switch pulled back, remove a small plastic piece that has 2 brass(fingers) coming off of it. That piece mounts over the bolt that locks the ignition lock cylinder in to the column. With that piece removed, remove the bolt holding the lock cylinder and then pull the lock cylinder straight out...

Like I had said, the repair is not to difficult though the repair instructions may sound overwhelming..I you just go one step at a time, you'll get it. If you have any questions along the way, let me know. I've done this job atleast 100 times....

Thanks, Josh

Just wondering if you replaced your lock cylinder okay...josh
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you was already at that point thought there may have been a little trick

another ? same truck seams like its choking out replaced tbody sensors runs good at freeway speeds and dies sometimes any ideas?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

93 chev k2500 5.7 runs as if the choke were sticking.when i put the gas on it hesitates then goes. have changed filter and sensers and throttle body when it idols up and down runs good at freeway speeds. when it runs ruff i'll unplug the temp sensor and it will run fine .then i'll have to plug it in in the morning to get started . then go through the whole thing again