Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how do i remove the front rotors on my 87 chevy 4x4 ( K-10

Customer Question
manual hub)Already removed calipers and...
how do i remove the front rotors on my 87 chevy 4x4 ( K-10 manual hub)Already removed calipers and end cap for hub lock.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/25/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 8 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
  1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Caliper and position aside. Do not allow caliper to hang from brake hose, refer to Brake Caliper / Service and Repair .
  3. Locking hub, refer to Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints / Locking Hub / Service and Repair .
  4. Wheel bearing outer locknut, lock ring and wheel bearing inner adjusting nut.
  5. Hub/disc assembly and outer wheel bearing.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Apply an approved high temperature front wheel bearing grease to the spindle at the inner and outer bearing seat, shoulder and seal seat. Also finger apply a small amount of grease inboard of each bearing cup in the hub/disc assembly. Pressure pack the bearings with a grease machine or hand pack them. Ensure grease is worked thoroughly into the rollers, cone and cage.
  2. Inner bearing, (apply an additional quantity of grease outboard of the inner bearing), and seal.
  3. Rotor.
  4. Outer bearing and adjusting nut.
  5. Adjust wheel bearings, rotate wheel and torque adjusting nut to 67.5 Nm (50 ft lb) , then back off enough to free bearing.
  6. Ring and lock nut.
  7. Ensure tang on inside diameter of washer passes onto slot in spindle and hole in washer aligns with locknut pin. Move adjustment nut as necessary to align pin, then tighten locknut to217 Nm (160 ft lb) .
  8. Ensure endplay is 0.001-0.010 inch .
  9. Locking hub and caliper.
  10. Tire and wheel assembly.
  11. Lower vehicle.

Dave:

I have a diagram as well. Sorry, did not mention that before. Was looking for step by step type of thing. (4x4 noob). Was hesitant to start pulling parts as I found them. Sounds like your suggested plan, I think.? Not afraid of doing that on regular vehicle.

You mentioned a link to Axles/Bearing/Hub/service. Where is that found? On site FAQ's? Sounds like the ticket for this rookie. Your link to calipers came through OK (shown in blue and underlined) the axle suggestion/link was not. Any tips on how to get that info? That should about do it if you can clarify.

Thanks

Thane Wright

Paisley,ONT,Can.

Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 7 years ago
Do you have a manual or autormatic locking hub? Do you know if it is a Monroe, Spicer, or Warner?

Dave

Not really dragging my feet to be difficult. No time to get at it lately. (4 kids). Hub is manual locking but have not started dismantling it other than the end cap thus far.

Will try to get on it a.m. of Wed Dec 2nd to look for clues re:Monroe/Spicer/Warner.

Nothing inside or outside of cap to suggest brand.

Thanks for you patience

internet being so huge....curious as to where you live. Can/US?

Notes

Fig. 8 Exploded view of Spicer manual locking hub

Description
As shown in Fig. 8, the splines on the inside diameter of the axle shaft sleeve and ring assembly mesh with the axle shaft splines. The assembly is retained on the axle shaft with a snap ring. The splines on the outside diameter of the inner clutch ring assembly mesh with the wheel hub splines. Therefore, when the actuator knob is turned towards the ``L'' position, the actuating cam body is forced outward towards the hub end, allowing the inner clutch to be forced under spring tension towards the axle shaft sleeve and ring assembly until the inner clutch assembly teeth are engaged in the axle shaft sleeve and ring assembly teeth, locking the axle and hub.

Operation
When the transfer case is shifted into the position for driving the front axle, turn the actuating knob so that it is aligned with the letter L. If the clutch teeth do not engage with the knob turned to this position, the clutch teeth are butted and a slight movement of the wheel in either direction will complete the lock. The front axle will now drive the wheel.
When the transfer case is to be shifted into the position for driving the rear axle only, turn the actuating knob so that it is aligned with the letter F. This will disengage the clutch teeth and thus unlock the wheel hub from the axle shaft. The wheel will now turn free on the axle. Be certain that the transfer case is shifted into two wheel drive position before disengaging the Hub-Lock.

Removal

1. Position actuator knob in ``LOCK,'' then raise and support vehicle. Rotate tire to ensure engagement of hub lock.
  2. Remove retaining plate attaching bolts, then the retaining plate, actuating knob and O-rings.
  3. Remove internal snap ring, outer clutch retaining ring, actuating cam body, outer clutch gear and pressure spring, Fig. 8.
  4. Remove axle shaft snap ring, then the inner clutch ring.
  5. Remove spring retainer plate, if equipped.

Installation

1. Install spring retainer plate, if equipped, over spindle nuts and against wheel bearing outer cup. Ensure flanged side of plate faces toward wheel bearing.
  2. Install inner clutch ring onto axle shaft, press ring inward, then install snap ring.
  3. Install pressure spring with larger side facing inward.
  4. Install outer clutch gear, actuating cam body, outer clutch retaining ring and the internal snap ring. Ensure actuating cams face outward.
  5. Install O-ring, actuating knob, actuating knob O-ring and the retaining plate.
  6. Install retaining plate attaching bolts and torque to 38 inch lbs

Notes

Description
Turning the locking hub clutch control to the ``L'' or ``4'' position connects the wheel hubs to the axle shafts. Therefore, when the transfer case is driving the front axle and the locking hubs are in the ``L'' or ``4'' position, the wheels are driven by the axle shafts. When the transfer case is not driving the front axle, the locking hub clutch controls are turned to the ``F'' or ``2'' position to disconnect the wheel hubs from the axle shafts. The wheels now rotate freely, but the axle shafts remain stationary.
On any vehicle equipped with manually operated locking hubs, extreme care must be taken to ensure locking hub dials are fully engaged or disengaged, to prevent possible damage to the locking hubs. If the locking hubs are not properly maintained, full engagement of the control dials may become impossible due to excessive dirt and dust. Any time the vehicle is driven through water deep enough to cover the hubs, the locking hubs should be removed and cleaned, then lubricated thoroughly.
These hubs are serviced as an assembly or subassembly only (hub body or hub clutch assembly only). Do not attempt to disassemble these units. If an entire hub or subassembly is defective, replace the entire assembly or subassembly. The hubs may be removed for cleaning and inspection purposes and for periodic lubrication only.

Fig. 9 Exploded view of Warner manual locking hub

Removal

1. Remove socket head screws, axle hub retaining ring and axle shaft retaining ring.
  2. Remove hub clutch assembly, Fig. 9.
  3. Clean and inspect all components. Replace as necessary.

Installation

1. Lubricate all hub components.
  2. Install hub clutch, axle hub retaining ring and axle shaft retaining ring.
  3. Install new O-ring in hub body and position in clutch.
  4. Install socket head screws and torque to 30 inch lbs.
  5. Raise and support front of vehicle, then set control dial to ``FREE'' position and rotate wheels. If wheels drag, check hub installation.
  6. Lower vehicle.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

Dave

Instructions look good. Thanks. Word and diagram links to alldata.com are not working though.

Thane

Could you take alldata diagrams and word/definition links off their site on to your pc and then send? They are obviously blocking me as a non memeber.

graphic

spicer locking hub above

warner locking hub below

graphic

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

Two payments should have gone through. Did they?

Yes they did. Thank you.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician