Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do you replace heater blower motor on 1998 gmc pickup with ac

Customer Question
how do you replace heater blower motor on 1998 gmc pickup with ac
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/17/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this should help you

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1992-98 Models

See Figure 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the right rear quarter panel trim.
  3. Disconnect the electrical lead at the fan.
  4. Remove the screws and if equipped, the cooling tube.
  5. If necessary, remove the fan retaining nut and lift out the blower fan.
  6. Remove the blower motor.

To install:

1. Install the blower motor and then position the fan.
  2. Install the retaining nut and then tighten the mounting screws to 12 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  3. If removed, install the cooling tube.
  4. Connect the electrical lead. Install the quarter panel trim cover.
  5. Connect the battery cable.

FIG : Fig. 4: Auxiliary heating and A/C system

image

199198 C/K With Air Conditioning

2. Remove the instrument panel compartment.
  3. Unfasten the forward-most screw in the right side door sill plate. Remove the trim panel from the right hinge pillar.
  4. If necessary for access, unplug the ECM wiring and remove the ECM.
  5. Unplug the electrical lead at the blower motor and if equipped, remove the underdash courtesy lamp.
  6. Remove the bolt from the right side lower instrument panel support. Remove the blower cover and the cooling tube.
  7. Unfasten the flange screws and pull out the blower motor. You may have to pry back the right side of the instrument panel slightly. Be careful!

To install:

1. Position the blower motor and install the mounting screws. Be careful not to catch the blower on anything when sliding it in.
  2. Install the cooling tube and the blower shield.
  3. Install the bolt into the instrument panel support.
  4. Attach the courtesy lamp and the blower electrical lead.
  5. If removed, install the ECM. Attach the wiring harness.
  6. Install the trim panel on the pillar. Don't forget the screw in the sill plate!
  7. Install the instrument panel compartment and connect the battery cable.

Edited by tims auto repair on 11/17/2009 at 4:40 PM EST
Tim's Auto Repair
Primary A/C System

Heater Core Case" width="520" height="330"/> Evaporator/Heater Core Case

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Instrument panel compartment.
  3. Front screw from right door sill plate.
  4. Right hinge pillar trim panel.
  5. Electrical connectors from PCM, as necessary.
  6. PCM and mounting bracket (diesel engines only).
  7. Electrical connectors from blower motor (60), as necessary.
  8. Bolt from right lower I/P support.
  9. Blower motor cover.
  10. Blower motor cooling tube.
  11. Blower motor flange screws (59).
  12. Blower motor (60).
    • Pull the blower motor forward carefully to avoid distorting the blower fan.
    • May be necessary to pry back right side of instrument panel.

Inspect

• Blower motor terminals for distortion. Clean corrosion from the terminals or replace the blower motor (60) as necessary.
  • Flange of the blower motor (60) for damage or distortion that could cause an air leak. Repair as necessary.
  • Blower fan for damage and distortion.

Install or Connect

1. Blower motor (60).
    • Guide the blower motor and blower fan into position, being careful not to catch the blower fan on protruding parts.
  1. Blower motor flange screws (59).
  2. Blower motor cooling tube.
  3. Blower motor cover.
  4. Bolt to right lower I/P support.
  5. Electrical connectors to blower motor (16), as necessary.
  6. Mounting bracket and ECM.
  7. Electrical connectors to ECM, as necessary.
  8. Right hinge pillar trim panel.
  9. Front screw into front door sill plate.
  10. Instrument panel compartment.
  11. Negative battery cable.
    • Check circuit operation.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic