Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do I replace a heater core in a 2000 Chevy Impala with

Customer Question
a 3.8 series 2 motor?...
How do I replace a heater core in a 2000 Chevy Impala with a 3.8 series 2 motor?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/3/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Heater Core

Removal & Installation

To Remove:

1. Remove the fuel injector appearance cover if equipped.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  4. Remove the right and left instrument panel closeout panels.
  5. Remove the carpet.
  6. Remove the rear floor air outlet duct from the floor reinforcement.
  7. Remove the rear floor air outlet duct.
  8. Remove the air outlet cover screws and heat stakes. Use a small chisel to cut the heat stakes.
  9. Remove the air outlet cover from the HVAC assembly.
  10. Remove the heater core cover screws and heat stakes. Use a small chisel to cut the heat stakes.
  11. Remove the heater core cover from the HVAC assembly.
  12. Remove the heater core from the HVAC assembly.

To Install:

1. Install a new heater core foam seal to the HVAC assembly.
  2. Install the heater core in the HVAC assembly.
  3. From the inside of the heater core cover, drill the dimples adjacent to the heat stakes using a 7/32 in (5.5 mm) drill bit.
  4. Install the heater core cover screws.
  5. From inside of the heater air outlet cover, drill the dimples adjacent to the heat stakes using a 7/32 in (5.5 mm) drill bit.
  6. Install the heater air outlet cover.
  7. Connect the rear floor air outlet duct to the air outlet cover.
  8. Install the rear floor air outlet duct to the holes in the floor reinforcement.
  9. Install the carpet.
  10. Install the instrument panel closeout panels.
  11. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core.
  12. Install the fuel injector appearance cover.
  13. Refill the cooling system and check for leaks.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

Previous Next

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic