Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 Chevy Silverado battery drain. Original 2amps. With

2000 Chevy Silverado battery drain...
2000 Chevy Silverado battery drain. Original: 2amps. With the stereo unplugged and out of the truck I still have an 0.8 amp drain(too much). When I unplug the radio fuse the current drops to 0.25 amps(just checked it again). According to a schematic I have, the only thing in the circuit is the wire from the fuse block to the stereo plug. I lifted the fuse panel and see 2 orange wires from that fuse. They both energize with the fuse installation. I have no documentation to indicate a 2nd wire. Do you have an idea where it goes?

After more plugging and unplugging, the 0.25 to 0.8 amp jump in battery drain now occurs after an inconsistent time delay after installing the fuse. It also occurs with a relay engagement SOMEWHERE in the cab. We haven't found it yet. I expect it is the 2nd orange wire from the fuse...??
11/3/2009
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
The radio fuse that you pulled is the 15 amp Radio fuse in the under hood fuse box? ken
Yes. The 15 amp fuse under the hood. FYI the stereo is Stock. Unmodified. I bought the truck new and no changes made to the stereo circuit.
I am finding wiring diagrams for you. They take time to find. I will send a few to you as I find them. Thank You, Ken Object Number: 522354  Size: FS
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Object Number: 493075  Size: FS
It looks like it goes to the cluster. The computers may take up to 20 mins to go too sleep.You have to leave you amp meter in line and working to see what the draw is in 10to 20 mins. I have seen the PCM stay awake for 45mins doing a evap test. Ken
On the second wiring digram they have the fuse marked as a 10 amp fuse. that is wrong, It should be 15 amp. Its circuit 340. ken

Edited by Ken on 11/3/2009 at 2:16 AM EST
Object Number: 465830  Size: FS
Does that help you? Ken

Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.
  2. Move the shift lever all the way down (if the transmission is automatic).
  3. Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.

4. Object Number: 348730  Size: SH

5. Pull gently rearward on the retaining clips holding the bezel to the instrument panel (IP) assembly.
  6. Remove the bezel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 348730  Size: SH

1. Position the bezel to the IP assembly.
  2. Align the guide pins and the retainers with the holes in the IP assembly.
  3. Apply pressure to the bezel in the area of the retainer clips in order to engage the clips to the IP assembly.
  4. Tilt the steering wheel to the normal drive position.
  5. Move the shift lever to the park position (if the transmission is automatic).
  6. Disengage the parking brake.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX help you get that cluster out. Thank You Ken
Instrument Cluster Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel (IP) cluster trim plate bezel. Object Number: 348794  Size: SH

2. Remove the screws that retain the IP cluster to the IP assembly.

3. Object Number: 348734  Size: SH

4. Remove the IP cluster from the vehicle by tilting the bottom of the cluster outward.
  5. Disconnect the IP cluster harness from the IP cluster.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 348734  Size: SH

1. Connect the IP cluster harness to the IP cluster.

2. Object Number: 348794  Size: SH

1. Install the IP cluster onto the IP with the screws. Tilt the top of the cluster into the retainer first to avoid damaging the flexible circuit connections.
  2. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the screws that retain the IP cluster to the IP assembly.
  4. Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

5. Install the IP cluster trim plate bezel.
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Thank You !!!! Next time , leave bonuses for the tec. They get more of the competition. Thank You very much! Let me know if you need more information. Ken

Thank you very much!! Sorry about the slow replies. PC is slow tonight. The schematics help a ton! And your advice will be taken. I'll check out the battery drain and let the meter stay on for quite awhile. It may be simply a bad factory stereo(after 10 years, I guess it's acceptable......)

Have a great evening!

Thank You!!!!!!!!! Ken

FYI. After 20 minutes the current drain dropped below 0.3 amps. I'll hook the battery back up and make sure, but it looks like the radio was the only problem all along.

Thanks again!!

Yes, that is what I thought. Run the motor for a few mins and then retest. Ken
The links will not work. Just some information I found for you. Ken
Battery Electrical Drain/Parasitic Load Test

Tools Required

J 36169-A Fused Jumper Wire
J 38758 Parasitic Draw Test Switch
J 39200 Digital Multimeter
Scan Tool or Equivalent

Caution: Batteries produce explosive gases. Batteries contain corrosive acid. Batteries supply levels of electrical current high enough to cause burns. Therefore, in order to reduce the risk of personal injury while working near a battery, observe the following guidelines:

Always shield your eyes.
Avoid leaning over the battery whenever possible.
Do not expose the battery to open flames or sparks.
Do not allow battery acid to contact the eyes or the skin.
- Flush any contacted areas with water immediately and thoroughly.
- Get medical help.

Notice: Do not turn the parasitic draw test switch to the OFF position with the engine running. Damage will occur to the vehicle's electrical system.

Notice: The test switch must be in the ON position when removing the fuses in order to maintain continuity in the electrical system. This avoids damaging the digital multimeter due to accidental overloading, such as a door being opened to change a fuse.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.

2. Object Number: 180461  Size: SH

3. Install the male end of the J 38758 to the negative battery terminal.
  4. Turn OFF the test switch.
  5. Install the negative battery cable to the female end of the test switch.
  6. Install the Scan Tool (or equivalent) or wait for 20 minutes.
  7. Turn ON the test switch.
  8. Road test the vehicle while activating all accessories, including the radio and the air conditioning.
  9. Lower the door glass, then exit the vehicle. Do not move the door handle after closing the door.
  10. Open the hood.
  11. Important: The power down timer will reset to 20 minutes if any wake up inputs are received by a Class 2 device (after the scan tool has put all Class 2 devices to sleep).

12. Put all of the Class 2 devices into the sleep mode.
  13. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Remove the key.
  14. Important: From this point on, electrical continuity must be maintained in the ground circuit of the battery through the Test Switch J 38758 in the ON position or through the ammeter J 39200 .

15. Components such as PCM, VCM, Automatic Air Conditioning, and the Truck Body Control Module have timers that draw several amps of current while they cycle down. This can give a false parasitic drain reading. Wait 20 minutes for these components to power down before continuing this test (or use the scan tool to put all Class 2 devices to sleep).
  16. Connect a jumper wire with a 10 A fuse J 36169-A to the terminals of the test switch.
  17. Turn the test switch to the OFF position.
  18. Wait ten seconds.
  19. If the fuse does not blow, the current is less than 10 A.

The ammeter can be used safely.

20. Before the fused jumper wire is removed, turn the test switch to the ON position.
  21. Important: If an ammeter other than the J 39200 is used, ensure that the vehicle does not have a high current drain that would damage the ammeter when connected to the circuit.

22. Perform the following procedure in order to detect a high current drain:
  1. Set the ammeter J 39200 to the 10 A scale.
  2. Connect the ammeter to the test switch terminals.
  3. Turn OFF the test switch. This allows the current to flow through the ammeter.
  4. Wait one minute, then inspect the current reading.
  5. When there is a current reading of 2 A or less, turn ON the test switch, this maintains continuity in the electrical system.
    Then, switch the meter down to the 2 A scale, for a more accurate reading, when the test switch is reopened.
  6. Open the test switch.
  7. Take the reading in milliamps.
  8. Note the battery reserve capacity. .
  9. Divide this number by 4. Example: 90/4 = 22.5
    Compare this to the ammeter reading.
    The current drain in milliamps should not exceed this number.
    Example: if a battery has a reserve capacity of 90 minutes, the current drain should not exceed 22 milliamps.
  10. When the current draw is too high, remove the electrical system fuses one at a time until the draw returns to a value less than or equal to specifications.
  11. Start with the fuses that are hot all the time.
    To remove the fuse, you must first open the door, which causes a high enough current flow to damage the ammeter.
    Protect the ammeter, without disturbing the electrical continuity, by turning ON the test tool before opening the door.
    Remove the courtesy lamp fuse.
    Note the ammeter reading.
    If the parasitic load is still excessive, start removing the remaining fuses one at a time.
    Keep the courtesy lamp fuse out during diagnosis, so the door can remain open.
    Perform Steps 11 through 13 each time a fuse is removed.
  12. Removing the PCM or VCM fuse should cause a drop of less than 10 milliamps.
  13. A drop greater than 10 milliamps indicates a possible short to ground.

14. Check the orange wires along with the components connected to the orange wires.
  15. No drop in the milliampere reading indicates the PCM or VCM is not drawing current.

16. Repeat the parasitic current drain test procedure after any repair has been completed.
  17. When the cause of the excessive current draw has been located and repaired, remove the ammeter and the parasitic draw test switch.
  18. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

19. Connect the battery negative cable to the negative battery terminal.
  20. Tighten
    Tighten the battery negative cable bolt to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

.
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Will check it. Thanks again for hanging in with me.
No problem. Thank You Ken
Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician