Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2006 Chevy: bulbs that have burnt..switches..Steering wheel

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Chevy...
I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado where I'm having an issue with bulbs that have burnt out inside the switches. The Steering wheel has Radio Buttons, and Vehicle information buttons, etc. Most of the lights on the Steering wheel are
out. I also have one light out on the windshield defrost button on the dashboard climate control system.

Is this something I can realistically replace? If so, where can I order the new switches? Or should this be a dealer repair, and what would you think the cost of the repair should be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/16/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Ken, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Hi and thanks for your question! The steering wheel controls are replace able. You need to tell the parts person which buttons you need. They cost 17 to 25 for each button set. You can pop those out with a small screw driver and then pop the new ones in. You can check http://gmpartsdirect.com. If you need to you can get the parts and have any shop put the in. The book calls for pulling off the air bag to replace the switches. Labor time of 1.1 hours. I pop them out without pulling the steering wheel off. The wires can be short. On the defrost button is part of the A/C control head. I would wait for a few more lights to go out on that module. You have to replace the hole thing and Auto A/C control head has to be programed by the dealer. The manual control head is a plug and play module, no programing needed. Ken
Steering Wheel Control Switch Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

2. Remove the shroud retaining screws from the back of the steering wheel.
  3. Remove the shroud from the steering wheel.

4. Object Number: 755485  Size: SH

5. Position a blunt ended tool into the wire harness cavity (1) and apply moderate pressure in order to partially remove the steering wheel control switch from the steering wheel.

6. Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

7. Disconnect the steering wheel control switch electrical connector.
  8. Important: The bulbs in the steering wheel control switches are not serviceable. The switches should be replaced only as an assembly.

9. Remove the steering wheel control switch from the steering wheel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

1. Position the steering wheel control switch to the steering wheel.
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the steering wheel control switch.
  3. Install the steering wheel control switch into the steering wheel, ensuring the retaining tabs are fully seated.

4. Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

5. Install the shroud to the steering wheel.
  6. Install the shroud retaining screws to the steering wheel.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

8. Install the steering wheel.

Disabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Wait 1 minute before working on system.

Enabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

1. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable to the battery. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The AIR BAG indicator will flash then turn OFF.
  3. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle if the AIR BAG warning indicator does not operate as described.
Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
    Object Number: 760459  Size: SH

2. Using a blunt-ended tool, push the leaf spring fasteners (2) inward through the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the steering wheel shroud.

3. Object Number: 245799  Size: SH

4. Lift and partially remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical connectors.
  5. Disconnect the connector-position assurance (CPA) retainers from the electrical connectors.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  7. Important: Do not attempt to repair the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. The inflatable restraint steering wheel module is replaced only as an assembly.

8. Remove the inflatable restraint module from the steering wheel.
  9. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period.
  10. Installation Procedure

11. Object Number: 245799  Size: SH

12. Position the inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel.
  13. Connect the electrical connectors to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  14. Connect the CPA retainers into the electrical connectors. Seat and lock the connections.

15. Object Number: 760459  Size: SH

16. Position the alignment posts of the inflatable restraint module to the holes that are located on the steering wheel housing.
  17. Push the inflatable restraint module into the steering wheel in order to engage and in order to latch the 2 leaf spring fasteners (1).
  18. After installation, pull the sides of the inflatable restraint module in order to ensure that both leaf spring fasteners are engaged.
  19. Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
That should help you decide if you can do this at home or have to take it into a shop. Let me know if you need more help. Ken
Steering Wheel Replacement

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

J-36541-A Steering Wheel Puller Adapter

J 42578 Steering Wheel Puller Legs

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Remove the inflator module. Remove the horn switch.Make an alignment mark in order to note the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
  2. Remove the steering wheel nut.

3. Object Number: 649307  Size: SH

4. Remove the steering wheel using:
  5. J 1859-A (1) with
    J-36541-A (2) or J 42578 (2)

Installation Procedure

1. Align the marks made during the removal of the steering shaft and the steering wheel.

2. Object Number: 245807  Size: SH

3. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft.
  4. Install the steering wheel nut to the steering shaft.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (29 lb ft).

6. Install the horn switch. Install the inflator module. Enable the SIR system.© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician