Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how to pull a heatercore out of a 1999 chevy lumina car

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/13/2009
Chevy Mechanic: quickcar, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician

here is the procedure as outlined in the service manual.

The heater core heats the air before it enters the vehicle. Engine coolant is circulated through the core to heat the outside air passing over the fins of the core. The core is functional at all times (no water shut-off valve is used) and may be used to temper conditioned air in the A/C mode, as well as the heat or vent mode.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the cosmetic/acoustic engine cover, as equipped.

3. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.

4. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container.

5. On the 3.4L (VIN X) engine, remove the throttle body and the throttle body tube to which it mounts.

Heater hose arrangement-3.1L engine shown, others similar

Click to Enlarge
Heater hose arrangement-3.8L engine

Heater hose arrangement-3.8L engine

Click to Enlarge
On some 3.1L engine, a Quick-Connect fitting as used, which requires a special tool to separate the fitting

Click to Enlarge
Opening the heater core case for heater core removal

Click to Enlarge
  1. Disconnect both heater hoses from the heater core. On some vehicles, accessing the firewall side heater hoses can be a challenge due to limited working space. In addition, some vehicles equipped with the 3.1L engine may have quick-connect fittings on the hose, requiring special tool J 38723 Heater Line Quick Connect Separator, or equivalent.

2. Remove the lower center console, if equipped. Additional information may be found in the Control Panel service instructions, found in this section.

3. Remove both left and right underdash sound insulator panels.

4. Disconnect the lower heater duct.

5. Remove the heater core cover. The sealer usually should be discarded and replaced with new sealer. Evaluate the condition of the existing sealer and the availability of new sealer.

6. Locate and remove the heater core mounting clip and bracket and remove the heater core from the vehicle. Use care as it will likely have coolant inside and could drip onto the rugs or seats.

7. Installation is the reverse of the removal process. After refilling the cooling system, bleed out the air and check for leaks as outlined in Section 1 of this manual.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

2. If equipped with a 3.1L engine, remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.

3. If equipped with a 3.8L engine, remove the fuel injector sight shield by performing the following procedures:

• Clean the area around the oil filler cap/tube assembly location.

• Rotate the oil filler cap/tube assembly counterclockwise from the valve cover.

• Lift the fuel injector sight shield up at the front and slide it from the rear engine bracket.

• Reinstall the oil filler cap/tube assembly in the valve cover.

CAUTION

Before draining the cooling system, allow the engine to cool to relieve the systems internal pressure and to avoid scalding coolant.

4. Drain the cooling system by performing the following procedure:

• Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.

• Remove and clean the coolant recovery tank.

• Place a 2 gallon pan under the radiator to catch the coolant.

• At the bottom of the radiator, open the drain valve and drain the coolant to a level lower than the heater core.

• Remove the radiator cap and open the air bleed screw (2-3 turns) located on top of the thermostat housing.

• After sufficient coolant has been drained from the system, close the drain valve.

CAUTION

Engine coolant is a hazardous waste; it should be stored for reuse or submitted for recycling. NEVER dispose of it by dumping it into the environment.

5. Disconnect and plug the heater hoses at the heater core.

6. If equipped, remove the lower center console by removing or disconnecting the following:

• Cigarette lighter

• Automatic transaxle shift handle

• Upper console trim plate from the front floor console by unsnapping it

• Electrical connectors from the upper console trim plate and remove the trim plate

• CD storage compartment from the front floor console by unsnapping it

• Raise the front floor console armrest and remove the compartment mat

• Console-to-chassis bolts and screws

• Electrical connectors from the console and remove the console from the vehicle

7. Remove the lower instrument panel lower compartment by removing or disconnecting the following:

• Lower right instrument panel insulator

• Compartment-to-panel bolts and screws, from under the instrument panel compartment

• Instrument panel compartment door screws and the door

• Instrument panel compartment screws and plastic clips; then slide the compartment from the instrument panel

• Electrical connector from the compartment

• Ashtray and bracket, if necessary

• Lower heater duct

• Heater core cover and discard the cover seals

• Heater core mounting clip and bracket

• Heater core

View of the radiator drain valve-Century, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Lumina, Monte Carlo and Regal

Click to Enlarge
      View of the fuel injector sight shield-Century, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Lumina, Monte Carlo and Regal

Click to Enlarge
      Exploded view of the instrument panel-Century, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Lumina, Monte Carlo and Regal

Click to Enlarge
      View of the heater core-Century, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Lumina, Monte Carlo and Regal

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install and connect the following:

• Heater core in the vehicle

• Heater core mounting clip and bracket

• New seals on the heater core cover

• Heater core cover and torque the bolts to 13 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm)

• Lower heater duct, if removed

• Ashtray and bracket, if removed

2. Install the lower instrument panel lower by installing or connecting the following:

• Electrical connector to the compartment

• Slide the compartment into the instrument panel; then, secure it with screws and plastic clips

• Instrument panel compartment door and screws

• Compartment-to-panel bolts and screws, located under the instrument panel compartment

3. If equipped, install the lower center console install or connect the following:

• Console in the vehicle and connect the electrical connectors

• Console-to-chassis bolts and screws, tighten in sequence beginning at the front right and continue in a clockwise order to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm)

• Armrest compartment mat and lower the front floor console armrest

• C/D storage compartment into the front floor console

• Electrical connectors to the upper console trim plate and snap the trim plate onto the console

• Automatic transaxle shift handle and the cigarette lighter

• Heater hoses to the heater core and secure with the clamps

4. Refill the cooling system by performing the following procedure:

• Close the radiator drain valve.

• If the air bleed screws (located at the top of the thermostat housing) is closed, open it by turning it 2-3 turns.

• Slowly add coolant until it reaches the radiator neck.

• Wait for 2 minutes and recheck the coolant level; then, add more coolant if necessary.

• Fill the coolant reservoir to the COLD mark.

• Close the air bleed screw.

WARNING

Do not over-tighten the air bleed screw for it is made of brass.

• Install the radiator cap and make sure that the arrows align with the overflow tube.

5. If equipped with a 3.8L engine, install the fuel injector sight shield by performing the following procedures:

• Remove the oil filler cap/tube assembly from the valve cover.

• Slide the fuel injector sight shield into the rear engine bracket and lower it into place.

• Reinstall the oil filler cap/tube assembly in the valve cover. Twist it clockwise to lock the detent on the tube into the notch in the valve cover.

6. If equipped with a 3.1L engine, install the air cleaner and duct assembly.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
quickcar
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician