Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

What will it cost to replace lifters and camshaft in Avalanche?

Customer Question
How much should it cost...
How much should it cost to replace lifters and camshaft in my 2003 Avalanche?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/8/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

This is a 12hr job. It is a little high. This is not a common problem,,

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Lifter

13 - Valve Lifters

Contact dealer for most current part and price information.

17122490$57.59
Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Camshat

14 - Camshaft

12560967$343.88icon_note_blank.gif
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Camshat

Replace

B8.511.8icon_note_blank.gif

Note

With Three Piece Engine Cover, Add

B0.10.2icon_note_blank.gif

With Auto Trans, Add

B0.10.1

What about the known problem thing. I have complained about the ticking noise in the engine on two separate occasions and was told no problem. Now, when it is off of warranty 100,000 miles or 5 years. 5 years came along and they say it is a problem and need to fix.
How high is a little high? Need numbers.

The parts to do this[cam and lifters] are clost to $1273+/-.. The lobour is close to 12hrs

I don't think this is your problem. I think the problem is the o-ring on the oil pump. Pick-up strainer is causing your ticking

Engine - Knocking or Lifter Noise

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-038

Date: December, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Engine Knock or LifterNoise (Replace 0-Ring)

Models:
2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette
2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2003 GMC Sierra
with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause

The 0-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction

Inspect the 0-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSP0.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table shown.

DISCLAIMER

Oil Pan Removal

Important: The original oil pan gasket is retained and aligned to the oil pan by rivets. When installing a new gasket, it is not necessary to install new oil pan gasket rivets.

Do not use the oil pan gaske again. When installing the oil pan, install a New oil pan gasket.

It is not necessary to remove the oil level sensor prior to oil pan removal. Remove the oil level sensor if service is required.

1. Remove the left closeout cover and bolt.

1. Remove the right closeout cover and bolt.

1. Remove the oil level sensor from the oil pan, if required.

1. Remove the oil pan bolts.
  2. Remove the oil pan.

Important: Do not allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.

Use care not to gouge, score, or damage the oil pan sealing surface.

1. Drill (3) out the oil pan gasket retaining rivets (2), if required.
  2. Remove the gasket (1) from the pan.
  3. Discard the gasket and rivets.

1. Remove the oil pan baffle bolts and baffle, if required.

Installation

Note: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems

Important: The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush or even. The rear of the oil pan must never protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing plane.

• Do not use the oil pan gasket again.
  • It is not necessary to rivet the NEW gasket to the oil pan.
  • It is not necessary to remove the oil level sensor prior to oil pan installation.
  1. Install the oil pan baffle and bolts, if previously removed. Tighten Tighten the oil pan baffle bolts to 12 Nm (106 lb in) .

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378521 (Canadian P/N 88901148), or equivalent, 20 mm (0.8 in) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378521 (Canadian P/N 88901148), or equivalent, 20 mm (0.8 in) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.

Important: Ensure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.
  1. Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket to the pan.
4.1.Install the gasket onto the oil pan.
4.2.Install the oil pan bolts to the pan and through the gasket.
  1. Install the oil pan, gasket and bolts to the engine block.
  2. Tighten bolts finger tight. Do not overtighten.
  3. Place a straight edge across the rear of the engine block and the rear of the oil pan at the transmission housing mounting surfaces.

1. Align the oil pan until the rear of engine block and rear of oil pan are flush or even. Tighten
  1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb ft) .
  2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 Nm (106 lb in) .
  1. Measure the oil pan-to-engine block alignment.
9.1.Place a straight edge across the rear of the engine block and rear of oil pan at the transmission housing mounting surfaces.
Important: The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing mounting surfaces.
9.2.Insert a feeler gage between the straight edge and the oil pan transmission housing mounting surface and inspect to ensure that there is no greater than a 0.1 mm (0.004 in) gap (a) between the pan and straight edge.
9.3.If the oil pan alignment is not within specifications, remove the oil pan and repeat the above procedure.

1. Install the oil level sensor.

I found that O-Ring thing online, but I am not convinced. The car is throwing a PO300 code. Do you think that the O-ring thing would throw a code?
Can damaged O-rings cause a worn camshaft and pitting in the lifters if it is not replaced. The dealer says that the cam shaft is worn and the lifters pitted. I guess he must have them out to see?? Not very mechanical here so help me out with that
I am thinking of hauling the car to another shop. I don't like the attitude or competence of this dealer.

Ok, these have roller lifters, the cam shouldn't wear in these.. The o-ring listed above is just one 99cent o-ring.. It goes on the pick up.. If it is bad, the lifters would have low oil pressure and cause them to rattle. It is not likely for the cam and the lifters to be bad. Please understand I can't see it. This wouldn't cause a 0300 code. This is a misfire code. I will give you a chart on this

P0300

Powertrain Controls Diagnosis

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 4)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 4)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 3 Of 4)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 4 Of 4)
Circuit Description
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is mounted through the side of the engine block at the rear of bank 2 above the starter assembly. The CKP sensor works in conjunction with a 24X reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. The reluctor wheel is inside the engine immediately in front of the rear main bearing. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides a 12 volt power supply to the CKP sensor as well as a ground and a signal circuit.

A misfire causes a change in crankshaft speed. The PCM times the interval between each pulse and compares each new time interval with the previous one in order to determine when an excessive change in crankshaft speed has occurred. You can expect a certain amount of acceleration or deceleration between each firing stroke, but if the crankshaft speed changes are more than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire.

The PCM uses the CKP sensor for misfire detection and to control spark and fueling. As the crankshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel teeth interrupt a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads. The PCM uses this 24X signal in combination with the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor 1x signal in order to accurately determine crankshaft position. The PCM also calculates a 4X signal from this information. The PCM uses the 4X signal for internal calculations. The 4X signal also provides a tach signal for any device which requires one.

Observe that as long as the PCM receives the CKP sensor 24X signal, the engine will start. The PCM can determine top dead center for all cylinders by using the CKP sensor 24X signal alone. The CMP sensor lx signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition.

Conditions for running the DTC

• No active Mass Air Flow (MAF) DTCs
  • No active Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) DTCs
  • No active Throttle Position (TP) DTCs
  • No active Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor DTCs
  • No active Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor DTCs
  • No active Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) DTCs
  • The engine speed is between 375 RPM and 5,001 RPM for automatic transmission.
  • The engine speed is between 450 RPM and 5,001 RPM for manual transmission.
  • The ignition voltage is between 10 volts and 18 volts .
  • The ECT is between -7°C (19°F) and +130°C (+266°F) .
  • Fuel level more than 10 percent
  • The TP sensor angle is steady within 1 percent .
  • The Antilock Brake System (ABS) and traction control systems are not active.
  • The transmission is not changing gears.
  • The secondary Air Injection (AIR) diagnostic test is not in progress (RPO NC1 only)
  • The A/C clutch is not changing states.
  • The PCM is not in fuel shut-off or decel fuel cut-off mode.
  • The ABS signal is not exceeding rough road thresholds.

Conditions for setting the DTC

• The PCM determines that an emission type misfire is present.
  • The PCM determines that a catalyst damaging misfire is present.

Action taken when the DTC sets
The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) under the following conditions:

• The PCM illuminates the MIL on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails, if the diagnostic fails under the same conditions such as load, RPM, temperature, etc. as the previous ignition cycle that the test ran and failed.
  • The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM records the operating conditions in Failure Records.
  • The PCM determines the percent of misfire over a 1,000 revolution period is high enough to cause excessive fail pipe emissions. The PCM illuminates the MIL the next consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails, if the diagnostic fails under the same conditions such as load, RPM, temperature, etc. as the previous ignition cycle that the test ran and failed. Or
  • The PCM flashes the MIL when the diagnostic runs and fails a catalyst damaging misfire.

Conditions for clearing the MIL/DTC

IMportant: If the last failure was during a non-typical driving condition, the MIL may remain ON longer than the three ignition cycles. Review the Freeze Frame or Failure Records for the last failure conditions.

• The PCM turns the MIL OFF after three consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail within the same conditions that the DTC last failed.
  • A History DTC clears after forty consecutive warm-up cycles, if this or any other emission related diagnostic does not report any failures.
  • A last test failed clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL/DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

Important: Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM.

• Running the vehicle out of fuel causes sufficient misfire to set DTC P0300. A vehicle that is out of fuel may have fuel level DTCs also set.
  • Water contamination in the fuel system can cause a single cylinder to misfire as well as cause a random misfire. If there is a misfire in Cylinder #7 it is possible that water has collected in the fuel rail.
  • If there is a misfire detected in Cylinder #4 or #6 it is possible that the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm has ruptured, causing fuel to be drawn in through the regulator vacuum line. Remove the vacuum line and inspect for fuel contamination.
  • A restricted fuel filter can cause sufficient misfire to set DTC P0300.
  • Excessive vibration from sources other than the engine could cause a misfire DTC. The following are possible sources of vibration:
  • Variable thickness brake rotor
  • Drive shaft not balanced
  • Certain rough road conditions
  • Observe, if more than one cylinder is misfiring, the scan tool may only display one cylinder misfiring. This will not be apparent until the repair is completed. Also, if an ignition coil ground circuit is open for one side of the engine, the scan tool may only display 2 or 3 cylinders misfiring. Inspect the ground circuit for the ignition coil on the cylinder bank of the engine that has more then one cylinder misfiring.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. Wetting down the secondary ignition system with water from a spray bottle may help locate damaged or deteriorated components. Look and listen for arcing or misfiring as you apply the water. If the Misfire Current counters are incrementing and there is no apparent misfire, an erratic CKP sensor signal could be the cause. Perform the diagnostic table for DTC P0335 first if this condition is suspected. If a misfire is present and you suspect a fuel control problem, force the fuel system into Open Loop using the scan tool and allow the engine to run for a few minutes. If this eliminates the misfire, set. If no other DTCs are set, refer to the Engine Scan Tool Data List. A misfire may not be apparent at idle. The misfire may only occur above idle under a load. Road test the vehicle and monitor the misfire current counters. If more than one cylinder is misfiring, the misfire current counters may only increment for one cylinder. Example: Cylinders 1 and 8 are both misfiring, yet only cylinder 8 increments on the misfire current counter. If one of the injector fuses is open, only two or three misfire current counters may increment for the corresponding side of the engine.
  1. The cylinder with the more significant misfire may cause another cylinder counter to increment only by a small amount.
  1. If the engine misfire moves with the spark plug, this is good indication that you should replace the spark plug.
  1. An engine mechanical problem can cause a spark plug to gas foul. Inspect for loose rockers, collapsed lifters, or worn camshaft lobes.
  1. If the customer concern is the MIL flashing, this indicates that a Catalyst Misfire has occurred. Drive the vehicle in the conditions to run the catalyst diagnostic.
Tim's Auto Repair

Thanks for the help. I wish I understood all this a little better, but you certainly earned my money even if I am to stupid to take advantage of all of this information. I guess I will suck it up, but not after questioning the dealer about the code the pitting and the wear. I have a complaint in to GM but they will give me no help here I am sure

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic