Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2006 Chevy Impala: remote start..the drivers side..keyless..doors

Customer Question
I own a 2006 Chevy...
I own a 2006 Chevy Impala LT. The remote start is not working and You have to be standing on the drivers side of the car for the keyless door remote to lock/unlock the doors. I don't use the OnStar feature. I thought the keyless remotes needed batteries or replacing, but a dealer told me that the entire system, including the antenna on top of the car would need to be replaced in order to fix the problem and that it would be costly.(aprox $7-800.00) Does this sound right? If so; It would cheaper to go to an auto alarm place and purchase an alarm system w/keyless remotes & remote starter.
Are you aware of any other 2006 owners having this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/7/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 8 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

This is a known issue & if the car is out of the 35,000 mile / 3 year, then the customer absorbs the cost.
There was a TSB issued, but I cannot find it.
Some Aftermarket Extended Warranties will cover it also.

If none of the above apply, you may want to consider Aftermarket Remote Start / Keyless Entry
With Reputable Aftermarket Unit, Twice the distance, very few problems

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics