Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

Rear door on 2005 chevy uplander wont close

rear door on 2005 chevy uplander won't close
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer when you say it won't close, do you mean it won't latch. Does it close, but solidly rebound like something is blocking it from closing all the way?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, what likely happened is that the door latch got tripped when the door was open, causing it to latch and that is what is keeping it from closing. This is what I want you to try, take a screwdriver and stick it in the claw portion of latch on the door itself. Hold the door handle up and use the screwdriver to open the claw back up. You are going to pull towards the car simulating the way the door is pulled open. With the handle up, it should open relatively easily, almost like you are just tripping it. Once open, it will relatch with no problem. I've seen this many times and talked people over the phone to success in the past, Don't overthink this and don't get frustrated. Try several times if you can get it, trying different techniques in the process. To get and idea, open the other rear door and look at the latch, then compare it to this side, You'll see what I mean.