Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1999 chevy tahoe: Interior lights..doors..Dome Light..Instrument Panel

Customer Question
1999 Chev Tahoe. Interior...
1999 Chev Tahoe. Interior lights not working properly:
- Courtesy lights do not turn off after doors close
- Dome lights and reading lights do not illuminate
- Dome Light Override switch checks out
- Park and Head lamps work properly
- Instrument Panel Dimmer switch works but does not turn on Dome lights
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/25/2009
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Welcome. I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe as best you can because I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please feel free to reply as needed.

Let try some testing. Take the switch out and find the white wire in terminal M. Ground this terminal and see if the lights turn on.

I tested the white wire to ground as part of the override switch test. When the override switch is in the ON positiion the white wire is connected to ground. When in the OFF position it is opn to ground. I did not check this with power on.

The concern is that the courtesy lamps do not go off so I have to remove the fuse to keep the battery from running down. Plus when I turn the dimmer switch to full on, the courtesy lights get brighter but the dome lights do not come on.

OK, lets tryt he diagnosis below.

Courtesy or Dome Lamps Always On (Except Luxury)

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

DEFINITION: Use this diagnostic in order to diagnose the Dome and/or Courtesy Lamps Always On with all vehicle doors closed and the dome lamp switch in the OFF position. On vehicles equipped with remote keyless entry or an interior lamp control module will cause the interior lamps to remain in the ON position after the door is opened for approximately 40 seconds or until an ignition ON cycle has occurred.

1

Did you perform the Interior Lamps System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

2

1. Close the vehicle doors.
  2. Disconnect the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch.

Do the courtesy and/or dome lamps turn OFF?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 7

3

1. Close the vehicle doors.
  2. Connect a J 39200 , set on Ohms, between the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch connector cavity L and ground.

Is there continuity?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 6

4

Is the vehicle a suburban/utility with cargo doors?

--

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 5

5

1. Repair the short to ground in CKT 328 (PPL) between the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch and door jamb switches.
  2. If no short to ground is found, replace the faulty door jamb switches.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

6

Replace the headlamp and the panel dimmer switches.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

7

Disconnect the interior lamp control module or the keyless entry module.

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 11

8

Connect a J 39200 , set on Ohms, between CKT 157 (GRY) at cavity B of the interior lamp control or cavity K of the keyless entry module and ground.

Is there continuity?

--

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 10

9

Repair the short to ground in CKT 157 (GRY) between the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch and wither the interior lamp control module or the keyless entry module.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

10

Replace the interior lamp control module or the keyless entry module.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

11

Repair the short to ground in CKT 156 (WHT) between the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch and the dome and/or courtesy lamps, the interior lamp control module or the keyless entry module.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

12

With a J 39200 still connected at the headlamp and the panel dimmer switch cavity L and ground, disconnect the door lock control module.

Is there still continuity?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 13

13

Connect a J 39200 , set on Ohms, between the door lock control module connector cavity F and ground.

Is there continuity?

--

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 15

14

1. Repair the short to ground in CKT 1897 (ORN/BLK) between the door lock control module and the rear door jamb switch.
  2. If no short to ground is found, replace the rear door jamb switch.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

--

15

Replace the door lock control module.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Interior Lamps System Check

I have done many of the checks listed, but not all. One thing that you said has my interest. I have a general schematicfrom Haynes that shows an Interior Lamp Control Module. That looks to be the problem as the timer and ignition cut off for the courtesy lights is not working; however, I called Chev Parts this morning and they do not list this module as a separate part. Is it contained in the light switch assembly or is it a separate part?

It is separate. It is under the left side of the dash by the remote control door module. It is #2 and the remote control module is #3

Object Number: 278106  Size: MF

Is there a place to get an actual schematic for this circuit?

Object Number: 366442  Size: FSObject Number: 366461  Size: FS

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Thank you very much
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician