Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2002 chevy venture: van..engage..clicking..new starter switch

Customer Question
have i have a 2002...
have

i have a 2002 chevy venture van when i try to start it nothing ,starter will not engage
everything else works !    so i hit the bottom of the steering colum with my hand and it started , so i turned it off and tried it again and nothing -so i hit the bottom of the steering colum again it tried to start but then started clicking at the starter "NOW " i have nothing i changed starter relay- new starter switch with harnest and reset tthe security code / takes 30 minutes but i can not get power back to the starter !

i can cross it over at starter solinoid and it fires right-up (ANY IDEA`S )
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/24/2009
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch or a loose electrical connection at the ignition switch. so i think you need to tear the column down
i have the colum tore down now replaced the starer switch in the colum the wires goes down to a block looks about 30 wires or so in it, i have it apart i need to know what else will cause this problem , i have been working on it for 2 days in my garage cleaned every wire, cables, ect.
why would the box above the - emer.brake click when i try to start the motor if it wasn`t going through the ign.switch ?
Chevy Mechanic: cartech, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
sir let me try to help you i will need alittle while to get all the diagrams to guide you in the right direction
first when trying to start it check both sides of the pcm/crank fuse in the instrument panel fuse block also check the pcm/abs fuse while the key is on for power on both sides

i have checked the fuse on both sides and checked out ok !

i started to get back out of the van and just reached over and turn the headlight switch to the "ON POSITION " turned the key switch and the van {motor started right up ) that makes no sense to me ! i have started the motor a dozen times to see if it was going to fail but so far starts good, may not after setting all night but i will see ! Danny Coleman

ok if it does this again take a test light or voltmeter and test the small wire at the starter for usually purple for voltage while trying to start it

i had already checked the ( solinoid wire ) and there were no power " until" i turned the headlight switch to the (ON POSITION ) and it has gotten power to starter ever sinse

is there some kind of RESET using the light switch that you know of ?

the only time ive seen that is if it has a ftermarket remote start and alarm system

NO ! it is all factory no one has done anything to it !

i was wondering if there could be a short circuit between the headlights & the solinoid wire if it wasn`t a Reset Feature ! i will drive the van for a little while before returning to owner if no problem i will post it ! Danny Coleman

ok never heard of it and nothing in my software states such a reset

OK! i will check the wires from the headlight switch to see if there are any problems !

if not there has to be a bad ground connection from the frame to the engine , body to frame ,ect. - cause all "fuses & Relays" checks out ok ! even with the ignition engaged in the start position ~ i will let you know what i find ! Danny coleman !

ok

Van still strating after two days but sounds like "starter solinoid" staying engaged couple seconds tooo long , can hear a grinding at flywheel (sometimes) dont know if it was doing that before or not ! i woundering if the "solinoid" its self could be the culprit with these vans ?

thats what i was assumeing to start with thats why i was haveing you check the purple wire for voltage but that doesnt make sense since you could jump the solinoid

yea ! so it has to be in wire from solinoid back to relay OR from relay back to switch

if she brings van back i will completely disassemble the wiring harnes to find the problem just toooo many of these vans with same ignition problem !

i dont think the headlight switch is heavy enough & effecting the secuity system shutting down the ignition could be a loose wire in the Male /female plugs ,same as the impala has with the ( pass key 111 ) magnetic sensor lose connection at the plug lose wire ends ! Danny Coleman !

i beleive that you confirmed power to the crank fuse so the juice is going that far in the circuit do you have the diagram or would you like it

well the van starts every time now so it`s hard to chase the problem down where it was at to begin with ! after turning the headlight switch to the "ON" postion the motor hasn`t fail to start and it does have factory secuity system / not after market ! Danny

ok im with you have to wait and see
cartech
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician