Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Error Code DTC 2610

Customer Question
What is error code DTC...

What is error code DTC 2610?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/17/2009
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

P2610
Notes

DTC P0602, P0606, P060B, P061C, P062C, P062F, or P2610

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors

DTC P0602

Control Module Not Programmed
DTC P0606

Control Module Internal Performance
DTC P060B

Control Module Analog to Digital Performance
DTC P061C

Control Module Engine Speed Performance
DTC P062C

Control Module Vehicle Speed Performance
DTC P062F

Control Module Long Term Memory Performance
DTC P2610

Control Module Ignition Off Timer Performance
Description

These DTCs apply to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the engine control module (ECM). This diagnostic also addresses if the ECM is not programmed.

The ECM monitors its ability to read and write to the memory. It also monitors a timing function.

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0602

The ignition switch is ON.
The controller is identified as a service replacement ECM.
P0606

The ignition switch is in Run or Crank.
The power take-off (PTO) is inactive.
The cruise control is inactive.
P060B

The engine speed is more than 650 RPM .
The ECM is powered up.
P061C

The ignition is ON.
The engine speed is less than 1,300 RPM .
P062C

The ignition is ON.

P062F

The ignition is ON.

P2610

The ECM is powered up.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0602

The ECM has not been programmed at Key On and Engine Off for 0.1 second .
This diagnostic runs continuously.
P0606

The ECM detects a microprocessor undervoltage or overvoltage condition. OR
The ECM detects an internal bus communication error. OR
The ECM detects an internal clock error. OR
The ECM detects an internal injector control error.
All tests run in less than 1 second .
This DTC runs continuously.
P060B

The ECM detects an incorrect internal analog/digital (A/D) signal for less than 1 second .
This DTC runs continuously.
P061C

The ECM detects that there is a difference between the CKP engine speed and the calculated engine speed of more than 320 RPM for less than 1 second .
This diagnostic runs continuously.
P062C

The ECM detects a fault in the ship that calculates redundant vehicle speed for more than 1 second .
This DTC runs continuously.
P062F

The ECM did not complete the last electronic erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM) write event during the last ECM power down.
This diagnostic runs once per ignition cycle at power up.
P2610

The ignition off-timer is less than 0 second . OR
The ignition off-timer is less than 5 seconds for more than 10 seconds . OR
The ignition off-timer is unchanged for 60 seconds . OR
The ignition off-timer is not incrementing in 1-second intervals.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0602, P0606, P060B, P061C, P062C and P062F are Type A DTCs.
DTC P2610 is a Type B DTC.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P2610 is a Type B DTC.
Circuit/System Testing

Observe the DTCs with the scan tool.
¤ If DTC P0602 or P062F is set, attempt to program the ECM before replacing the ECM. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS). See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning\Service Programming System (SPS)
¤ If DTC P0606 was set while performing SPS Programming, clear the DTCs and exit the diagnostic.
¤ If DTC P0606 was set with DTC P0851 or P0852, first go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

Test the voltage and ground circuits to the control module for the following:
A short
An open
High resistance
Important: DTC P2610 can be set with a loss of battery voltage to the ECM with the ignition ON. The ignition must be in the OFF position before disconnecting the ECM.

If DTC P2610 is set, turn the ignition OFF and then completely disconnect the ECM harness connector from the ECM for approximately 1 minute . Reinstall all of the ECM connectors and then attempt to clear codes with the scan tool.
¤ If DTC P2610 resets after code clear, replace the ECM.

Replace the ECM.

This code is often set because the battery went dead and you tried to start it. There is a calibration update to correct this and it will not require a new ECM. See your dealer for the calibration update.

Below is the bulletin that outlines this code and I have dozens of this update and never replaced a ECM for this.

#PIP4403: Control Module Ignition On Timer Performance DTC P2610 - keywords 6.6 cal calibration ECM engine LBZ LLY MIL replace replacement - (May 1, 2008)

View Full Image

Subject:Control Module Ignition On Timer Performance DTC P2610

Models:2006-2007 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado

2006-2007 GMC Savana, Sierra, Topkick

Equipped with the 6.6 Diesel Engine RPO codes LBZ or LLY

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A dealer may encounter a customer complaint of a check engine light (SES light ON) and a P2610 DTC may be stored in the ECM. This DTC may set intermittently after a reflash of certain modules such as the transmission control module (TCM), or glow plug control module (GPCM). Additionally, any loss of battery voltage to the ECM while the ignition is ON, can also cause a P2610 to set.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If a P2610 has been verified do not replace the ECM. Perform the following steps when encountering a P2610.

Turn the IGNITION OFF for 90 seconds. Unplug both the engine control module (ECM) connectors for 90 seconds. After 90 seconds has passed, re-install the ECM connectors. With the ignition on use the Tech2 and clear all codes in the ECM. This procedure should prevent future sets of the P2610. For 2006 and certain 2007 model vehicles, there may also be a calibration update available which addresses P2610 false sets.

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy