Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2004 Chevy Colorado. I am replacing hte front brakes. I have

the caliper off and the...
2004 Chevy Colorado. I am replacing hte front brakes. I have the caliper off and the mount off. I have taken the four bolts from the back of the wheel assembly and the main 35 mm spindle nut. I have removed the one bolt I found for the ABS sensor bracket, but I can't seem to remove the hub?
9/15/2009
BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
The only thing that could be holding the hub is rust, considering you have removed all the bolts that hold the unit in place. I can send you step by step instructions if you like.

step by step would be great

Wheel Hub/Speed Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Refer to ABS Component Handling Caution in the Preface section.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut, if equipped. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement
  3. Remove the front brake caliper bracket. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement.

4. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  5. Remove the antilock brake system (ABS) speed sensor wiring harness from the upper control arm.

6. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  7. Remove the front retaining bolt for the speed sensor bracket at the upper control arm.

8. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  9. Remove the speed senor bracket from the upper control arm.

10. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Mark the holes used to mount the speed sensor electrical connector before removing. This will ensure the proper location of the speed sensor electrical connector for installation.

11. Remove the speed sensor electrical connector from the body.

12. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The following service procedure is to ensure that the speed sensor wiring harness is properly positioned so that the length of the wiring harness is correct for installation. Failure to do so could cause damage to the speed sensor wiring harness.

13. Using white or bright colored paint, mark the location of the speed sensor wiring harness to the steering knuckle.

14. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The splash shield will come off the steering knuckle when the wheel bearing/hub, brake rotor is removed.

15. Remove the mounting bolts for the wheel bearing/hub, brake rotor assembly.

16. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  17. Remove the wheel bearing/hub assembly from the knuckle.

18. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Perform the following service procedure with the brake rotor on a flat surface that provides adequate clearance for the bearing assembly.

19. Remove the mounting bolts from the wheel bearing/hub, to the brake rotor.

20. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  21. Remove the wheel bearing/hub from the brake rotor.
  22. Clean the contact area between the wheel bearing/hub and the brake rotor.

Installation Procedure

1. If necessary, install a new wheel speed sensor on the bearing hub. Refer to Front Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement.

2. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  3. Position the wheel bearing/hub assembly on the brake rotor.
  4. Install the mounting bolts from the wheel bearing/hub assembly to the brake rotor.
  5. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Important: The following service procedure is to be performed on a flat surface and to ensure that the brake rotor is securely attached to the hub assembly prior to the final torquing procedure. DO NOT use air tools of any type for this procedure.

6. Tighten the bolts in crisscross pattern.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the mounting bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

8. Install the backing plate to the wheel bearing/hub, brake rotor assembly.

9. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  10. Align the wheel speed sensor wiring harness with the reference mark on the steering knuckle.
  11. Install the wheel bearing/hub into the steering knuckle.

13. Install the wheel bearing/hub mounting bolts.
  14. Tighten
    Tighten the mounting bolts to 125 N·m (92 lb ft).

15. Install the brake caliper mounting bracket to the steering knuckle. Refer to Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement.

17. Position a large screwdriver or pry bar in the cooling fins of the brake rotor and the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  18. Tighten the mounting bolts for the brake rotor in sequence.

19. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  20. Using a torque wrench, tighten the mounting bolts.
  21. Tighten
    Tighten the mounting bolts to 110 N·m (81 lb ft).

22. Install the wheel drive shaft nut. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement.

23. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  24. Install the wheel speed sensor wiring harness bracket to the upper control arm.

25. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  26. Install the front retaining bolt for the speed sensor wiring harness.
  27. Tighten
    Tighten to retaining bolt to 20 N·m (14 lb ft).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  28. Install the speed sensor wiring harness retainers in the upper control arm.

29. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  30. Reconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
  31. Install the wheel speed sensor connector to the body.
  32. Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
BigBlock434
BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic