Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2002 monte carlo ss: factory..My power steering is starting to whine

I have a factory 2002 monte carlo ss with a 3800 series 2 engine. My power steering is starting to whine as I turn. Maybe low fluid. All the blogs tell me to find my power steering resevoir below the alternator and above the oil filter. Just move strut tower and overflow container and I should see it (because I sure can't see it now). Then this guy at Mr. Valvoline tells me after I ask him to check PS fulid - I have EPS - Electronic Power steering. No way - right - he was just not wanting to get in there - right?

The EPS is simply an electronically controlled power steering system that regulates the amount of power assist you will feel at the wheel. This still does utilize a hydraulic pump. The pump is located in the rear of the engine compartment. Here is an illustration that may assist you in finding it. Note the location of the pump in regards XXXXX XXXXX water pump pulley just to the right of it if you are standing at the passenger side fender. Let me know if you have further troubles!

Object Number: 282122  Size: SH