Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Regarding a 93 geo prism lsi. Blinkers do not work. Hazard

Customer Question
Regarding a 93' geo prism...
Regarding a 93' geo prism lsi. Blinkers do not work. Hazard lights do work. Blinker switch and high beam switch are one in the same. I checked the solder connections leaving the actual blinker side of the switch for continuity. There are three solder points (wires) that are on the blinker switch. All three are showing continuity between each other while the harness is plugged in. When I plug the harness in, the switch works as I assume it should. With the middle wire being the feed to the switch and the top and bottom wire being the switch legs or right and left blinker. There is no voltage across any of the wires. I am assuming that the flasher is working properly since the hazard lights also work. This is unless the hazard lights have an individual flasher of its own and the blinkers its own flasher. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Buck
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Greg A, Master Troubleshooter replied 8 years ago
Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter

Hello & Welcome,

The turn and hazard flasher are the same unit, so that should be OK. I will see if I can find a location diagram for that, if you want.

I do have the schematic for the system. It is in two parts below.

graphic

graphic

The one thing that I see that is different from the hazards, is that the turn signals use a different fuse to supply power.

Have you checked that fuse for power on both sides of the fuse? I will see if I can the location of Junction Block 1, if you need that.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find or if you need more information.

Thanks, XXXXX

If this helps, please click the Accept button.

Checked the fuses under the console and none were blown. Still working on it. Thanks for the diagrams.

Hi again,

Thanks for letting me know. I have a diagram of where Junction Block 1 is supposed to be (below). Please make sure you check the fuses with a test light or multimeter to make sure they have power at both sides of the fuse.

graphic

Thanks, XXXXX

That is the fuse panel that I checked. I tested voltage across on both sides of the fuse and it has 12 volts. Any idea of how to recognize the flasher relay or where it is located? Also, does my problem sound remotely familiar to you?

Hi again,

The flasher is supposed to be mounted in the same junction block as the fuse.

graphic

I haven't run across this particular failure mode recently (hazards work and turns do not), but I have seen it in the past. The flasher is only supposed to be about $15, so I would just replace it to eliminate the possibility of that part being bad.

The flasher is suppose to look like a square.

If that does not work, then I would want to go back to the hazard switch itself and test that the power is coming through that switch when it is switched to OFF.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, XXXXX

Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Thanks again for the diagrams. I'll let you know. If I select the ''accept'' option, will I be able to pay you for your help and still contact you?

You are quite welcome,

Yes, we can continue as long as we need to.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Changed out the flasher unit. Same as before, no turn signals and hazards still work. If I were to bring the geo to a dealership, what would this cost to get repaired? This is wearing me out.

Hi again,

That depends on what the problem actually is. I see that the only things left in the circuit, besides the wiring, is the Hazard switch and the Turn signal switch.

If it was the Hazard switch, the standard labor guide says it would take about an hour to replace, and the part would be about $30 if you do not have a rear defogger, and about $75 if you do have a rear defogger.

If it was the turn signals switch, that has about the same labor time. I do not have a price for that, as it is not in my guide.

Dealerships usually charge $100 per hour and up. You should be able to get this done at almost any shop, and save a little money on labor at least.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A
Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter